Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

3 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

As an aside, another couple of things to mention from the symposium, the question of a 1/24th scale F-4 Phantom FGR2 was raised.

I'm not saying a big British Toom is impossible, but it seems fairly unlikely, to be frank. The appeal of this kit would be quite low outside of the UK and that would be a very big factor in Airfix's deliberations. Also, the box-size and asking price would be similar / more than the company's Mossie and that's a factor I wouldn't have thought would be beneficial.

Having said all that, we've never had any type of Phantom in 1/24th and more "esoteric" kits are being produced all the time these days, so....

Cheers. 

Chris. 

7 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

the question of a 1/24th scale F-4 Phantom FGR2 was raised. It wasn't ruled out but there are a couple of factors to consider…

Airfix management:

-As a next twin engine jet project we are considering the Fanthom FGR2 and Me 262…Any advice?

-Well we would sell many more 262s according to our marketing research.

-Well then it is settled, right?

-Yes, but in 1/24 scale, how much would the rivets and panel lines look like, with all the putty they applied? Those crazy Lufwaffe modelers will tear us appart if we don’t do it well…

-OK…let’s take a look at the Phantom again!

:hmmm::D

Alain

23 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Somehow, now that a little time has passed since the announcement, I'm not surprised that they have no plans for an E wing Spitfire.  If we accept that an E wing modification is not that difficult and they're not doing one, then I also believe that a Griffon engine version is also out of the question.  I do, however, think it likely that a MkVIII will be the next release given the way the rear fuselage has been molded.

Perhaps the after market will come up with an E wing conversion.  I'm hoping the after market will go nuts over this plane and offer a wide range of options.  Guess we'll know this time next year. :)

Cheers,

Michael

One more thought, if I may.  This kit lends itself well to doing PR XI conversions too.  You'd think that would be easy for the AM resin chaps.  Digits crossed. :)

Cheers,

Michael

On 1/9/2022 at 6:47 PM, dennismcc said:

Great choice of subject, lots of variety in the IX series and the camouflage and marking options are large, the price is good so they should sell a lot of them.

Will have to wait for a review or a build to see how good it is, but I will not be buying one as it is the wrong scale for me and I have a Tamiya IX in the stash and am currently building a PCM IX.

As Airfix are primarily responsible for me building models it is a shame that they do not manufacture any aircraft in 1/32 scale otherwise I would have my wallet out.

Good luck to them

Cheers

Dennis

Agree but I won't be buying one either.

Airfix will never have any of my hard earned cash as they don't do anything in my preferred 1/32nd scale. 

Have always thought Airfix have been very short sighted by never considering 1/32nd scale.

I think they would have a licence to print money if they were to do a series of Harriers from Mk1 to Mk 9 in this scale.

Also if they were to upscale there Lightning kit and do a new tool Buccaneer and Jaguar kits in 1/32nd to name just a few.

While I posted a photo of my 1/24 Mk.1a to a Mk.IXc conversion back on page 3 of this discussion. I should have mentioned that it would appear that the standing pilot shown apparently is still available from Imrie Risley. Series 77 also produced a RAF pilot with parachute but, according to their website,  it has yet to be re-issued and may be hard to find. I have since stripped my Series 77 RAF pilot shown below and will repaint it in the near future.  For those looking to purchase Airfix's new release, either will make for an attractive companion for this new model.

WfRqEmV.jpg

pvdEQRf.jpg

On 1/23/2022 at 7:07 PM, Grizly said:

While I posted a photo of my 1/24 Mk.1a to a Mk.IXc conversion back on page 3 of this discussion. I should have mentioned that it would appear that the standing pilot shown apparently is still available from Imrie Risley. Series 77 also produced a RAF pilot with parachute but, according to their website,  it has yet to be re-issued and may be hard to find. I have since stripped my Series 77 RAF pilot shown below and will repaint it in the near future.  For those looking to purchase Airfix's new release, either will make for an attractive companion for this new model.

WfRqEmV.jpg

pvdEQRf.jpg

Isn't that W/C 'Daffy' Danders wingman and sidekick to Biggles. I'd know him from anywhere. ....he he.

• 4 months later...

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/new-spitfire-test-frame-exclusive

New blog and sprues!

@LSP_Kevin, @LSP_K2

(not sure who to tag and ask about this...) As there are two threads running about this, would it be a wiser idea to merge the two into a single thread? (Your names are the only ones I could remember as being admins... Sorry!)

Edited by treker_ed

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have pre-order experience with Airfix - like with the Hellcat for example?

I used to get test shots in advance of a release so i could make up an airscale set to coincide with the release, but it seems they are giving aftermarket the cold shoulder this time - I quote:

"I've once again been told by the Marketing team that we will not be releasing any test shots or production items before they reach the shelves. Apologies, it's a tad a disappointing on my side that I cannot help but I think you'd be best to purchase the kit."

Who in the UK normally gets their hands on stuff first? Airfix obviously, but not sure they distribute quickly, same for Hannants - think I remember someone saying Jadlam?

Any pointers welcome as I wanted to get a set ready for Telford, but if the kit is not out until "Sept/Oct' (according to Airfix on 6th July) then thats looking impossible

TIA

Peter

1 hour ago, airscale said:

Does anyone have pre-order experience with Airfix - like with the Hellcat for example?

I used to get test shots in advance of a release so i could make up an airscale set to coincide with the release, but it seems they are giving aftermarket the cold shoulder this time - I quote:

"I've once again been told by the Marketing team that we will not be releasing any test shots or production items before they reach the shelves. Apologies, it's a tad a disappointing on my side that I cannot help but I think you'd be best to purchase the kit."

Who in the UK normally gets their hands on stuff first? Airfix obviously, but not sure they distribute quickly, same for Hannants - think I remember someone saying Jadlam?

Any pointers welcome as I wanted to get a set ready for Telford, but if the kit is not out until "Sept/Oct' (according to Airfix on 6th July) then thats looking impossible

TIA

Peter

Hi Peter

We are in the same position, just had the same email. Either way ordering a kit either through Airfix OR ANY other retailer does not really make much of a difference as far as timing goes. The most is sometimes a week, but to be honest that does not help me or you really, unless you are really quick in finalising the design and getting whatever into production.

it looks like you me and everyone else will just have to wait, and aftermarket will come later……

On 1/23/2022 at 1:07 PM, Grizly said:

pvdEQRf.jpg

He looks...familiar. 

Edited by coogrfan

9 hours ago, airscale said:

TIA

Peter

Hmmm… me thinks the marketing (small minded “m” intended) does not want prerelease comments to upset the story they will be telling at release. 

Edited by Rick Griewski

10 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Hmmm… me thinks the marketing (small minded “m” intended) does not want prerelease comments to upset the story they will be telling at release. 

Maybe, especially if they market it as a kit for which no aftermarket parts will be needed to build an accurate model. 

Adam

As a confirmed aftermarket junkie I must insist that large scale "super kits" demand super aftermarket!

I will be eagerly awaiting to hear from Airscale, Aerocraft, Baracuda, Model monkey, Synthetic Ordnance Works, Eduard, etc. to show us the good stuff. VISA card in hand guys...