Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

On 1/11/2022 at 5:18 AM, Dpgsbody55 said:

I don't see a high back MkXIV here as that would demand a different fuselage forward of the windscreen, and perhaps an E wing too, to say nothing of the parts to make a good Griffon engine.  

Requires a new tail also, but hopefully they will release a Griffon-engined version, would make a lot of sense from a business point of view.

15 hours ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

I do hope someone does a Tr IX conversion set;  looking forward to seeing what the aftermarket comes up with for this Unicorn.....!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

:D Seen on Hannants' website this morning by a fellow member at another forum:

Brigade Models: Spitfire Mk.IX Tr 2 seat conversion. Designed to be used with Airfix AX17001 Spitfire Mk.IX Kit. Decals for Irish, Dutch service aircraft

1 hour ago, KiwiZac said:

:D Seen on Hannants' website this morning by a fellow member at another forum:

Brigade Models: Spitfire Mk.IX Tr 2 seat conversion. Designed to be used with Airfix AX17001 Spitfire Mk.IX Kit. Decals for Irish, Dutch service aircraft

Well, stap me! It seems the modelling gods are truly generous right now!  Ahem, of course some brave soul is putting the finishing touches to a Griffon engined Spitfire conversion set in 1\24 scale even as I type this ( on the basis that at the moment one has to but wish for desired models and they appear/ are announced for release......!!) If only it were true.......

Awesome....still can't believe Airfix have done it. I've been grinning like a goof all day!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Guest Vincent

Hope the flare rack in front of the seat isn't molded with the seat as the IX did not have it anymore. One thing the IX seat had and I don't see on the renderings is the bottom armor plate

On 1/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, Royboy said:

Airfix are only interested in one thing.......SALES.

About 8 years ago, Airfix's parent company (Hornby) was £30Million in debt. I cannot blame Airfix for producing kits they believe will sell in large numbers - it would be potentially suicidal not to do so. 

Chris. 

49 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

About 8 years ago, Airfix's parent company (Hornby) was £30Million in debt. I cannot blame Airfix for producing kits they believe will sell in large numbers - it would be potentially suicidal not to do so. 

Chris. 

Which is why it's curious they, apparently, have no plans to release a 1/24 F6F-3, I think a special limited release high back XVI, Operation Big Ben model would prove popular.

Somehow, now that a little time has passed since the announcement, I'm not surprised that they have no plans for an E wing Spitfire.  If we accept that an E wing modification is not that difficult and they're not doing one, then I also believe that a Griffon engine version is also out of the question.  I do, however, think it likely that a MkVIII will be the next release given the way the rear fuselage has been molded.

Perhaps the after market will come up with an E wing conversion.  I'm hoping the after market will go nuts over this plane and offer a wide range of options.  Guess we'll know this time next year. :)

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

Can anyone remember in which order Tamiya released their 1/32nd scale Spitfire range? I'm fairly sure the Mk IX was first. They have a Mk VIII in their range too. Is it possible Airfix are adopting a similar strategy to Tamiya? :hmmm:

As an aside, another couple of things to mention from the symposium, the question of a 1/24th scale F-4 Phantom FGR2 was raised. It wasn't ruled out but there are a couple of factors to consider not least of which is price. The Toom is a big aircraft which would mean a high price, something Airfix have reservations about.

There are also production considerations when creating large pieces of plastic. Warping was a concern plus QC issues with Airfix's current manufacturer. 

However, is it a coincidence that the aircraft they used to illustrate much of the design process was the Hawker Hunter? Dimensionally, how does a Hunter compare to say, the Mosquito? :whistle:

So remember, you heard it here first. :innocent:

;)

:D

Cheers.