Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

8 hours ago, airscale said:

Fantastic news!

Will be on to airfix to get some test parts when available 

I don't understand why everyone is going on about tamiya 1/32 Spits, this is a new 1/24 kit - you don't buy it if you want a 1/32 one..  

I love large scale so happy days, I just wish it was a MkXlV  but its great to see them make the investment in keeping the 'superkit' range alive

Fully agreed Peter. In order to even produce such a kit, they need to make the necessary revenue, so the kit is (quite rightly) aimed at the average modeller. Compared to the original Airfix Mk.1a 1/24 scale offering (a more accurate comparison), is it an improvement? Yes, it is.

Comparing it to a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire kit (as good as that kit is) simply on a quality for similar cost ground is not, IMHO, a particularly valid argument. Are the details super-refined, probably not. Does it offer a good standard of detail - yes, so it is more than a good starting point for those whom wish to go down the super detail route.

Finally, looking at the breakdown of the kit parts (from those that I could see), it appears that it has been carried out logically and in a way that offers future versions, including Griffon engined ones if they so wish. So, overall, well done Airfix!

Regards

Derek 

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

Two styles of vertical tails are included in the kit plus clipped wings in clear plastic to provide the wing tip lights. 

Thank you for taking the time to take & post those pics, as well as writing such a detailed description. 

Could you clarify the excerpt of your post above? Does the kit have the later pointed rudder as well as the traditional rounded rudder?

Thanks again. 

10 minutes ago, GMK said:

Does the kit have the later pointed rudder as well as the traditional rounded rudder?

:doh:

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

Two styles of vertical tails are included in the kit plus clipped wings in clear plastic to provide the wing tip lights. 

Edited by quang

Well, I don't build in 1:24 - but I'll take at least one!

And I suspect I may end up carving one up to make a bigger two-seater than my last one.  ;)

It's going to be difficult to better the Tamiya kits - although I can already see there's more detail around the engine in the Airfix kit (ignition harnesses etc.). But earlier comparisons are a bit of a moot point - the kits are different scales - and the Airfix kit will have a lot of 'presence'.

Iain

6 hours ago, Chek said:

There's the issue of companion models to consider. I can't see any added detail in the new Airfix kit, which isn't present in the Tamiya 1/32 series (other than the Rolls-Royce logo on the cam cover). However if they announced a follow up Mk XIV coming in the next year or two, I'd certainly reconsider.

This is precisely the point some are missing: companion models. 

This year sees the release of the (by all accounts) Radu-designed 1/32 Revell Hurricane, so those like me treating the Spitfire and Hurricane as an inseparable ensemble are leaning heavily towards the Kotare Spitfire + Revell Hurricane. 

However, like Chek, I'd buy a 1/24 Griffon Spitfire just because it's a thing of beauty to treat as a stand-alone objet d'art.

Tony 

...Although Johnny E Johnson's Mk.IXc falls into the same category, so I may end buying in both 1/32 and 1/24 — oh the joys of rampant consumerism Denis Diderot cautioned us all about many years ago.

Tony 

2 hours ago, GMK said:

Could you clarify the excerpt of your post above? Does the kit have the later pointed rudder as well as the traditional rounded rudder?

Thanks again. 

Yw GMK. 

Yes, both rudders are included in the kit according to the Airfix bods. :thumbsup:

I thought I'd got a photo showing both but I couldn't find it, sorry. 

Hth

Edited by geedubelyer

so I spoke to airfix - interesting what they said for those knocking the details / plastic in the test shot..

"When it comes to a physical sample, the first shots weren’t ideal and we are due to receive second shots at some point that may change certain aspects. Provided that these second shots are up to standard, I’d be more than happy to send a sample across. I’ll keep you updated on the progress of these shots."

I have faith, it will be superb value and the ultimate canvas for a brilliant build (which airscale will give a little help to of course :))

Peter