Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

Although it looks delightful in the CAD drawings and it holds all the promise that 1/24 scale is capable of delivering, Tamiya's 1/32 scale Mk IX is still superb, and it is a very tough act to follow. Airfix' ability to surmount their prior issues with fit (ie: Typhoon & Hellcat) and finish remains to be seen.  Even though the Mk IX is my all-time favorite tied with the Mustang, personally, aside from their choice to build in the larger scale, I really don't see the attraction. 

This is going to sell very well, but I'm now torn as Revell are bringing out a new tool 1/32 Hurricane this Autumn. 

The conflict of scale thing is freaking me out a bit. 

Is the Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane any good? 

Tony

14 minutes ago, Tony T said:

This is going to sell very well, but I'm now torn as Revell are bringing out a new tool 1/32 Hurricane this Autumn. 

Tony

I think the Trumpeter Hurricane is a pretty decent kit.  I seem to remember an issue with the MK.II boxings in that it had the version of the Merlin fitted to the MK.I, but the rest was pretty good.  I picked up the IIC Trop boxing, along with the PE set that Trumpeter made for the kit a while ago at a pretty good price.  Got some resin tires to replace the rubber ones and Master gun barrels to dress up the kit.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=822

Edited by Dave Williams

17 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Tony

I think the Trumpy 1/32  1/24 Hurricane is very good. A review

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=821

Edited by eoyguy

Well, some 27 years ago I converted the Airfix Mk.1a to a Mk.IXc (below) and, should you wonder how a Mk.IX looks beside a Typhoon..... (again below). Yes, the Typhoon was (is?) big. Now it looks like my Spit will have to move over and make room for another. And having flown with 402 Squadron, I think the choice of markings for this next build won't require much debate.

45zvy2F.jpgU5G3DN0.jpg

49 minutes ago, Grizly said:

Well, some 27 years ago I converted the Airfix Mk.1a to a Mk.IXc (below) and, should you wonder how a Mk.IX looks beside a Typhoon..... (again below). Yes, the Typhoon was (is?) big. Now it looks like my Spit will have to move over and make room for another. And having flown with 402 Squadron, I think the choice of markings for this next build won't require much debate.

U5G3DN0.jpg

I was just re-reading both those issues of Scale Models featuring your Spitfire last week!

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I'd argue price... Tamiya 1/32nd Spit: £120. New Airfix 1/24the Spit: £95. As well getting a lot more model for your money, it's cheaper than the smaller Tamiya Spit, too :)

This is great news -  living under the approach to Biggin Hill I see numerous of this breed every day during the summer. Hopefully the after-market guys will be jumping in to give us decals for current airworthy versions. Hopefully this will be a resounding success for Airfix and we can then dream of the Griffon Mk14/19 at some point too.

Tom

just fyi Tamiya Spit IXc is on eBay (new) for £90 shipped from a UK seller / or from Jadlam Racing direct from their website.

pay £95 and you can buy them all day long so not sure where on Earth you are getting £120 from. Are you looking for the most expensive price to pay?

12 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

just fyi Tamiya Spit IXc is on eBay (new) for £90 shipped from a UK seller / or from Jadlam Racing direct from their website.

pay £95 and you can buy them all day long so not sure where on Earth you are getting £120 from. Are you looking for the most expensive price to pay?

Hannants prices:

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc Kit No 60319 £120

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk VIII Kit No 60320 £135

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk XVI Kit No 60321 £135

Wonderland Models, Edinburgh

Same kits, Same prices (currently 10% off)

E-Models, Stoke-on-Trent

No Mk XVI

MK XVIII £140 currently £133

MK IXc £120 currently £114

By no means an exhaustive list, just the ones I personally use on a semi-regular basis and the same prices across the board more or less. Yes you can find cheaper, on sites like E-bay who don't have the infrastructure that standard retail have to pay for. But as this is about the New Airfix kit. I agree with the original sentiment. £95 is actually semi-reasonable for a 1/24 super detailed kit like the Spitfire. I will more than likely end up buying one, however I will get it direct from Airfix due to being an Airfix Club member and therefore getting an automatic 10% discount at checkout for all orders! (Plus the money goes direct to Airfix and helps their bottom line! More money in the pot for product development, win-win!) Much better value than paying well over £100 for what is essentially a 12 year old moulding in 1/32!

Brilliant! It’s going to be hard to stop at one. Let’s see - a Mk VII, VIII, IX, XI, XVI, and then ‘C’ or ‘E’ wing? 

And all those lovely bits to cast up or cross kit for the Airfix Mk I/V’s. 

And the above ignores Seafire options!