Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

I appreciate this may not yet be the finished article but interested in thoughts on the prop blades as they meet the spinner - just doesn’t look right to me.

Overall impression of the smaller / detail parts after watching the video is that they look clunky, as if I’m looking at a 1/48 kit.

1 hour ago, quang said:

No joke. Seriously I’ve no problem with Airfix plastic. Their plastic is (a little bit) softer than Hasegawa and details could be crisper but it doesn’t prevent me to make a pleasant and detailed build.:rolleyes:

Tell me who isn’t ;)

I think the main problem with their plastic, apart from the softness, is that it is prone to warping which is a much bigger problem with large models.  The 1/24 Airfix Hellcat I had was terrible for that, the fuselage sides, at the front were splayed out an inch or more each side of the bulkhead that they were meant to butt up against.  I made the mistake of trying to correct the issue by bending the sides in, but there was an imperceptible twist that only became apparent as I worked forward from the bulkhead. The model was a rarity, unbuildable as a result of that, and went in the bin.   Their 1/24 Tiffy was much better but even that had some shrinkage and warping to deal with on my kit.  No, I won’t buy another large scale Airfix unless they improve their production standards and use a better, more suited,

plastic.  I do have their 1/48 Blenheim in the stash which I will build soon though.  I can put up with their plastic in small scales. 

Edited by BarryWilliams

If your fuselages where splayed out by an inch each side it was a defective kit you had not defective plastic.

None of my Hellcats have any issues except not being built yet.

If the Spit is to the same standard as the Hellcat count me in for a couple especially with Mk8 conversions sure to come out maybe Airfix will pop one out themself. 

3 hours ago, Chek said:

I don't see anything in the available photos that isn't already in the Tamiya kits, so apart from sheer size I can't see any advantage to the increase in scale.

For people who build 1/24th scale aircraft, the advantage is, ummm, sizable. 

Good choice, Airfix. 2022 is shaping up to be a fine year for new Spits.

Adam

The rivet counters have started, as someone said earlier in the thread, if it was a Tamigawa release then they'd be lording it as the greatest bit of plastic moulding ever, One note on the price, when they announced the big Mossie in 2008 iirc they put a price on it of £80 and that it would be a multi-version kit we ended up with NF11/FBVI and £140, I remember vividly walking into  Halifax Model World to collect 3of the much delayed kit and the same time as 2 of the Tamiya MKIX 32nd Spits, the most expensive modelling day ever, as I also bought a new Iwata airbrush, all these days later I still have one of each in the stash that travelled the Atlantic in 2020 when I emigrated to Akron OH.

Personally I can't wait for the big Spitfire, and will pre order it today.

Pre-Ordered!

Edited by notanotherrainydaykit

3 hours ago, quang said:

No joke. Seriously I’ve no problem with Airfix plastic. Their plastic is (a little bit) softer than Hasegawa and details could be crisper but it doesn’t prevent me to make a pleasant and detailed build.:rolleyes:

Tell me who isn’t ;)

Wingnut Wings.  :P

3 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

If your fuselages where splayed out by an inch each side it was a defective kit you had not defective plastic.

None of my Hellcats have any issues except not being built yet.

If the Spit is to the same standard as the Hellcat count me in for a couple especially with Mk8 conversions sure to come out maybe Airfix will pop one out themself. 

Odd, defective kit because of cheap plastic prone to warping.  Glad that you had no warping issues though.  You cannot get away from that horrible soft plastic that takes a lot of clean up.  

5 hours ago, Royboy said:

Airfix are only interested in one thing.......SALES.

Seriously ? Like any other model maker in the world... As a matter of fact, as any company, whatever the field, in this world.

Why Ford sells cars, why Airbus sells planes, why the pharmacy sells medicine : because there are interested in one thing : SALES (and the money that comes along)

Edited by discus

Great choice of subject, lots of variety in the IX series and the camouflage and marking options are large, the price is good so they should sell a lot of them.

Will have to wait for a review or a build to see how good it is, but I will not be buying one as it is the wrong scale for me and I have a Tamiya IX in the stash and am currently building a PCM IX.

As Airfix are primarily responsible for me building models it is a shame that they do not manufacture any aircraft in 1/32 scale otherwise I would have my wallet out.

Good luck to them

Cheers

Dennis

I'm another who has had no issues with the plastic on New Airfix releases, only issues of my own making such as paint on mating surfaces.

1/24 is far too big for me but for this I'll make an exception. If it includes a broad-chord rudder and E wing then it will be a must-buy for me. Bravo to the designer/s, it looks fantastic!

8 hours ago, Chek said:

I don't see anything in the available photos that isn't already in the Tamiya kits, so apart from sheer size I can't see any advantage to the increase in scale.

I'd argue price... Tamiya 1/32nd Spit: £120. New Airfix 1/24the Spit: £95. As well getting a lot more model for your money, it's cheaper than the smaller Tamiya Spit, too :)

This is great news -  living under the approach to Biggin Hill I see numerous of this breed every day during the summer. Hopefully the after-market guys will be jumping in to give us decals for current airworthy versions. Hopefully this will be a resounding success for Airfix and we can then dream of the Griffon Mk14/19 at some point too.

Tom