Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-a17001?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=New+Super+Kit&utm_campaign=Airfix-+New+Kit+-+week+41+21%2F22&modal=-zoom

Hot off the heels of the Spitfire day being held at Duxford come the announcement of a new 1/24 Spitfire from Airfix: Spitfire Mk IXc.

According to the product page, 4 decal options!

I had a feeling something like this was coming as they were participating at the Spitfire Day @ Duxford. My little spidy sense was tingling away. Why else would they be at such an event unless they had a really significant item to announce, literally the day before their 2022 catalogue announcement. Whilst I have their 1/24 Typhoon (x3) & Hellcat in the stash, I have a sneaky suspicion that a spitfire will be joining them in the future.... And at around £95 ( $176AUD Approx) I think that's a reasonable price. The Typhoon & Hellcat were over £120 each (I got one Typhoon with a significant discount via Airfix Members Club offer and one for under £50.....:D)

Sound great and the CADs look great....   But, that horrible soft plastic prone to warping, the poor quality control they have in production.   I will give it a miss I think.  Sad really, if only they would up their game so the plastic lives up to the potential of the engineering...  Maybe they will get their act together with this one but I wont hold my breath.

I never had problem with Airfix plastic. During last year, I’ve done their 1/48 Spit XVI, Walrus, Tomahawk, all them enjoyable builds.

So I’d say, bring on the 1/24 Spit IX. I just need to replenish my Dark Green, Ocean Grey and Dark Sea Grey paint stock! :P

9 minutes ago, quang said:

I never had problem with Airfix plastic.

That’s a joke right??

either way, the Tamiya 1/32 kit is the best Spitfire in any scale at the moment. Kotare Models LTD’s MkI in 1/32 later this year (the ex-WNW guys) has a realistic chance to eclipse it.

Bottom line, Airfix has a very high bar to beat the Tamiya IX. I just hope for better plastic, better mould quality and better fit than their Typhoon and Hellcat kits. Let’s see!

I like the way it looks. More soon ^_^

https://i.postimg.cc/vZmLptXC/IMG-20220109-123330809.jpg

This is a first test shot. 

It looks very good in the flesh. 

Airfix are likely to include two styles of vertical tail and clipped wingtips. 

The Merlin looks nicely detailled ootb as does the cockpit. 

Surface textures appear restrained so not so much "oil-canning" as some recent releases perhaps?

Edited by geedubelyer

4 minutes ago, AlanG said:

Wow this is getting slated even before it's released. wonder if the same would happen if it was released by tamimuranuts?

Then people wonder why companies don't bother with large scale these days.

Airfix are only interested in one thing.......SALES.

They'll sell boatloads of them of course, and at a price level that will suit most buyers in this scale.

I'll be getting a couple of them, and yes maybe they'll even fix the plastic quality issue as well.

I'm even hoping for some later marks of it in the future too. 

Happy days. ;)

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

That’s a joke right??

No joke. Seriously I’ve no problem with Airfix plastic. Their plastic is (a little bit) softer than Hasegawa and details could be crisper but it doesn’t prevent me to make a pleasant and detailed build.:rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, Royboy said:

Airfix are only interested in one thing.......SALES.

Tell me who isn’t ;)