Tamiya 1/32 P-51D/K "Mrs. Bonnie"

Phil Smith

Thanks everyone. The jeep and figures for the diorama are coming along nicely. I'll post completed photos in the appropriate forum - it seems to me a detailed description for these items is outside the scope of this forum (being neither large or planes) :D

• 2 weeks later...

With the P-51K completed, I’ve moved on to development of a diorama to display the model in an interesting way. The setting will be an island in the South Pacific, late 1944 to early 1945. I intend to render a sandy environment with shrubs and grasses, a section of Marston matting (large, perforated steel planking used to build/reinforce runways), a jeep with wagon, and a few guys standing around. I found several kits to support this effort:

1/35 Jeep with trailer: Bronco

1/32 figures: ICM "A Photo to Remember"

1/32 Marston Mats: Resin2Detail

1/32 toolbox: Eduard

Thus far, the jeep and wagon are completed, a relatively straight-forward build right out of the box. 

IMG-6812.jpg

1D2D7D6B-00CB-46C2-94D8-29A511236081.JPG

IMG-6803.jpg

IMG-6813.jpg

Edited by Phil Smith

11 hours ago, mc65 said:

Geee! 
I love the weathered green on the Willys, and great work on the PSP!

may I ask wich reference is the latter, and where did you find them?

TIA, Paolo

Thank you, Paolo. I order these brass elements from Resin2Detail, and they interlock just like the real thing; however, it takes patience. I did bend them and distress them a bit before interlocking to show wear. I found many black and white photos online. Color photos show the PSP as rusty, since the photos were taken decades later. In reality, the panels did not rust for some time due to being a still-magnesium blend to retard corrosion. Still, I will likely add a touch of rust color for interest. Otherwise, I they will be a steal gray color.