Tamiya 1/32 P-51D/K "Mrs. Bonnie"

Phil Smith

Yes. Another bloody Mustang.

I purchased the Tamiya kit many moons ago after reading glowing reviews. I was impressed with what I discovered in the box, looking forward to the build. However, I had other projects to complete, including a scratchbuild subject that wrapped up in November. I broke out the Tamiya kit in December after securing a handful of aftermarket bits, and I must say the journey has been an absolute pleasure. In accordance with the instructions, which one clearly should follow in this particular case, I began with the Packard V-1650 Merlin engine. The detail is magnificent, but I just can't leave well enough alone so I added a bunch of additional detail using plastic and wire.

Here are a few pictures to get the ball rolling. I probably went overboard on the weathering, and will make sure to temper the impulse to over do it when it comes to the rest of the aircraft.

IMG-4505.jpg

IMG-4506.jpg

Engine+top.jpg

IMG-4423.jpg

Edited by Phil Smith

Moving on from the engine and its firewall mount, I’ve started work on the cockpit. Thus far, I’ve worked the floor, auxiliary fuel tank behind the pilot’s seat, and the seat itself. The tank is interesting as the real thing, made of layers of vulcanized rubber, featured a textured surface. I recreated this effect using strips of Tamiya tape. Much of the rest of the assembly is straight out of the box, though I did use aftermarket seat belts and buckles from HGW.

As for instrument panels and the like, I prefer to do my own scratch building when possible. But I was so impressed with the work produced by Quinta Studio - an outfit in Russia that manufactures superb cockpit decals using additive manufacturing - that I decided to give that a try. It's a little less fun than working the details on my own, but the result is too good to ignore. There is just no way I will be able to produce the same level of detail without printing my own decals, and what's the point of that? A few more details on the dash remain, like knob and handles, which I will add after that piece is more fully integrated with the cockpit tub.

IMG-4512.jpg

IMG-4513.jpg

IMG-4514.jpg

IMG-4474.jpg

• Phil Smith changed the title to Tamiya 1/32 P-51D/K "Mrs. Bonnie"

Made a bit more progress on the P-51D today. I finished up the sidewalls of the cockpit. The starboard side of the cockpit contains more instrumentation than the port side. Ultimately, this meant an opportunity to add a few wire bundles to a few black boxes, and I scratch built a new oxygen hose by winding fine copper wire around a brass wire core. The port side features throttle controls, flight controls, bomb release, map holder, signal gun, etc. In addition to the standard details in the kit, I replaced the bomb release lever, a wire bundle, and two rods coming out of the throttle control., Finally, both sides were distressed by simulating chipped paint, grime, and dirt.

I then fused the cockpit-engine assembly into the port side fuselage half. The Tamiya kit is so well engineered that this process was uneventful. I was worried about engine fit, because I added a lot of additional details, like hoses and pipes, and these could have affected fit. Fortunately, it appears this was not an issue.

The next step is to build the radiator and oil cooler assembly.

IMG-4593.jpg

IMG-4591.jpg

IMG-4571.jpg

IMG-4576.jpg