Revell's new tool hurricane?

misha71

Not about the kit exactly but if you were a young pilot officer in 1940 and they gave you the choice of a Hurricane or a Spitfire I know which one my posterior would be in. (not the Hurricane). Having said that I have 8 Spifires built (Mks 1 to XIV) and one PCM Hurricane so I will definitely be adding the Revell kit to the stash and the Kotare Spit as well. There I said it.

TRF

On 1/4/2022 at 7:05 PM, AlanG said:

I know where there is one for sale (from a former? member on here). But a hefty price tag to go with it

Thanks, I found one on flea bay, but I am not prepared to pay the USD 265 for it. Excl shipping and taxes. 

15 hours ago, fastterry said:

Not about the kit exactly but if you were a young pilot officer in 1940 and they gave you the choice of a Hurricane or a Spitfire I know which one my posterior would be in. (not the Hurricane).

True. But if they considered just how much more punishment the hurricane could take compared to the spitfire, which would more than likely get them back home, then they might reconsider. But there again probably not. young blokes just want to be in the best looking thing without using their braincells to really think about things.

16 hours ago, fastterry said:

Not about the kit exactly but if you were a young pilot officer in 1940 and they gave you the choice of a Hurricane or a Spitfire I know which one my posterior would be in. (not the Hurricane). Having said that I have 8 Spifires built (Mks 1 to XIV) and one PCM Hurricane so I will definitely be adding the Revell kit to the stash and the Kotare Spit as well. There I said it.

TRF

The Hurricane could outturn a Me109 and after a few circles on the merry go round you'd be on the others tail and your opponent would be in real trouble.

The Hurricane was a much better stable gun platform with the thicker wing and would always stay on it's course as you shot.

The Hurricane also was quicker to repair in the field too, a bit of canvas doped over the bullet holes in the fuselage area and you were off to the races again.

Finally, the airframe was a LOT stronger and you could twist and turn at very high G relative to the Spitfire without pulling it's wings off.

If you pulled too hard on the Spitty the wing would break at bay 14 if you wasn't careful enough.

The two BOB vets I spoke too years ago just loved their Hurri's and both said the aircraft never got the recognition it truly deserved which they regretted. 

20 hours ago, quang said:

Call me nuts but I’m more excited by Revell’s new Hurricane than by Kotare’s Spitfire. :BANGHEAD2:

I'll eventually want one of each, but will probably grab the Hurricane first (assuming they're both available at the same time). I'm going to presume the Hurricane will be a fair bit cheaper, and that appeals to me a lot, as well as the fact that I'm looking forward to tackling the VVS scheme that I've pretty much settled on.

I think this might turn into a bun fight very quickly. According to my figures the Hurricane had the best turn radius closely followed by the Spitfire so turning also got more than one Spitfire pilot out of trouble. Regarding the Hurricane being able to take more punishment suggests that maybe they were easier to hit, bit like P-40E's when up against A6M2's. Anyway Adolf Galland reckoned that Hurricanes were easy prey, so there. :)

TRF

I’ve just booked a flight in a Hurricane for my 75th birthday in May 2023, just got to make sure I keep going that long now!   It was a toss up between a Spitfire or Hurricane but the poor relation full of character that got the vote, plus it’s a delightful little airfield on the right side of London that it flies from. 

Edited by mozart

44 minutes ago, mozart said:

I’ve just booked a flight in a Hurricane for my 75th birthday in May 2023, just got to make sure I keep going that long now!   It was a toss up between a Spitfire or Hurricane but the poor relation full of character that got the vote, plus it’s a delightful little airfield on the right side of London that it flies from. 

From Tiger Moth to Hurricane!

If all goes well they’ll have you intercept some hostile German bomber heading for England!:)

Alain

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Oh yeah! … and a wall-of-sound shattering flight on the back seat of an EE Lightning for your 80th? :P

Edited by quang
syntax