One for 2021

johncrow

Technically two completions, if you count the new 'Double Detolf' display case. 

This is the Fisher F9F-8T/TF-9J. It is by far a better kit than I am a modeler, but I had fun building  it. Definitely a three, possibly four, footer.  I started it while I was on COVID furlough the summer of '20. (That seems like a lifetime ago.) First time trying a couple of things: Orange paint, a giant pain. Also, this was the first time I used masks for some of the markings. The kit decals were somewhat yellowed, and weeks in a sunny window only helped some. When the stencil decals were placed on the white-painted areas, ANYTHING besides perfectly clear film showed. I printed my own decals for the "NAVY" and "ATSUGI" and some of the numbers, but had the same problem. I tried three different clear decal brands, but all could be seen on the white paint. I had all the decals put down when I belatedly decided to try masks. It was a bear removing the decals without wrecking the paintjob I struggled with, so I only did re-did some of the markings. You can see the difference; the "NAVY" is painted, while the "147413" is a decal. The decals actually look better in the photo than real life. 

Thanks for stopping by,

John

FmcmwL.jpg

20 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Wow - what a beauty for sure - fantastic finish and a real eye-catcher!

Thanks  Patrick. I appreciate it!

20 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

That looks amazing. The paint looks flawless. You finished one more than i did this year, my t bolt is stalled at present. 

Thanks Citadelgrad, the photo lies a bit, but overall I'll take it. Good luck with your Tbolt!

20 hours ago, chrish said:

That’s sharp 

Thanks chrish, I appreciate your stopping by.

Edited by johncrow
typos

17 hours ago, Cicciuzzo said:

Colorazione perfetta. Complimenti ;)

I appreciate it Cicciuzzo!  I'm not fluent in Italian(?), but I figured out your compliment. Thanks again!

16 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

That's awesome! The paint and finish look really good. I've wanted to do and 

orange and white Edwards test jet but all that white...and then the red/orange

paint with possible overspray made me run away! Yours looks great though!

Cheers...Ron

It was both easier and harder than I figured it would be...easier, as it's basically just Tamiya white primer, followed by MRP orange (and a bit of red). But way harder in that if touch-ups need to be done, it's a lot of work. 

16 hours ago, Jack said:

Aha....so THAT'S what it lookes like when finished, i have one waiting (as usual dah) but you did a very great job on this Twogar, i like it very very much, congrats!!

I have a couple other Fisher kits, including another (pretty beat-up) Twogar. No orange for that one! It'll be a USMC FAC jet. 

16 hours ago, Jeff T said:

Beautiful work John!

Looks superb.

Jeff.

Thank you Jeff!

14 hours ago, 100 SQN said:

Well done John, that looks stunning !

Thanks 100 SQN, much appreciated!

14 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very eye catching Twogar!

Much appreciated, Brian. Some call them chubby and under-powered, but I just dig the look of this jet. 

4 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Beautiful paint job and the build looks very well executed!

Ernest

Thanks Ernest, the build itself was pretty easy. Nearly all the work was paint and markings. 

Such a great subject! I am totally regretting not having bought one when Paul was still in business. I wanted to buy a while ago on the internet but the asking price was outrageous so I had to decline.

Your model is absolutely awesome, considering how difficult it is to deal with such colours. Great model indeed!!