1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

afternoon all,

thanks for stopping by :)

been busy on some of the sidewall components, starting with this steampunk contraption that does nothing more complicated than control the cowl flaps..

..I am really not sure why the design needed to be quite so agricultural, but there we are - I build little aeroplanes, not big ones so what do I know..

IYRPoW.jpg

..I cheated considerably by disecting the drawings at aircorps library and prepped most of the bits in PE, so it was like assembling a little kit..

2fXWCQ.jpg

..painted..

ThVdtO.jpg

and dry fitted on the sidewall..

NU490V.jpg

..then it was on to the other side, with an electrical control box (with all the switches), a fuse box below it, and a junction box to the right of it..

1gDb5G.jpg

..I had also made this in PE but as I couldn't find any drawings of these parts (only the later P40's which were different), so I made what I could from photo's - unfortunately I scaled them badly so they were all too small..

..so I had to make them from scratch - not as clean as I would like, and the decals won't fit either so tried doing those by hand too - not the best but it will do..

..the bits..

i4j3sb.jpg

..painted and assembled..

VkuAOh.jpg

..I did have decals for the floor fuel gauges so I did those too..

lBFzBS.jpg

..as a little montage..

HzaUPy.jpg

..the final part was the throttle & prop controls - again, the early type and made from PE with the exception of the front face which had to be litho as it has a dome in it..

oF6b3J.jpg

it is less than 1cm square, so very fiddly and required a jig to assemble it..

..the control handles are balls of solder, i found for every 10 I made, one was not only round enough, but the right size, the rest become spares...

..there are tiny pins on each of the handles, and I can tell you, drilling a 0.2mm hole in a 1mm ball is an excercise in concentration..

..again, this will be hugely enhanced by the decals when they arrive..

rGOIUw.jpg

0qmeWB.jpg

..it goes about here..

zVbbsz.jpg

slowly, but surely, one bit at a time..

vqc43k.jpg

Ph6n7H.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

evening all :)

On 2/6/2022 at 7:33 PM, JayW said:

Peter - your micro-engineering is typical you.  Just magical.  I guess my main question is how did you sculpt the teeth on that curved part there?

Hi Jay - no sculrpting involved here, other than on a computer :) the toothed part is a photo-etch facsimile of the part on the aircorps curtis drawing - I could never hope to be that accurate in cutting & filing!

been a bit fraught in the day job, so not much bench time - but did a few bits..

first the rudder pedals, seen here - note the raised writing and toe treadplate - another opportunity to cheat with PE :)

bOm3Bc.jpg

..I used brass tube for the support frame and assembled more PE parts to make up the pedals and brake cams..

gJ7LfH.jpg

..times 2..

QH5xZV.jpg

..these were then primed, painted and assembled - the beam at the top is hidden by the panel, so didn't bother making up the true parts and just used some plastic channel..

ZP9Pkh.jpg

qxUqEC.jpg

GeMXmU.jpg

..next up my favourite part - the instrument panel - for me, this has always defined the quality of a model, I sort of look at the exterior, but evry time I look at models at shows, I go straight for the interior :)

..I made the panel from a few laminates - the rear backplate that holds the decal, a thin mid panel that has some of the dial interior bits & shapes on it (on the left) and the face panel on the right..

ve4CHv.jpg

..obviously with PE, the detail can be as good as you are as an artist..

vRM1EZ.jpg

..the panels were painted - MRP supermatt blach for the face and rear, and NATO black for the mid-panel. Also seen here is the 'glass' which is cut from OHP acetate just like we supply in airscale sets and the decal..

..the decal is an interesting one as I am still waiting on the ones I am having printed, but Ray at Fantasy Printshop sent me a test sample from a new computer printer he has (vs silk screen printing) - while some of the stuff is a bit blobby for me, curiously the panel dials came out really well so I thought I would try them - I can always change them later..

dIgkaZ.jpg

..and with the laminates assembled and a few details added - when the proper decals for all the placards & labels arrive it will really pop..

..still some tidying up to do, but you get the idea..

HF1NsI.jpg

Kqqc7o.jpg

YE7LmI.jpg

..and thats it for a while - I am chancing some travel and going to the Carribean for a couple of weeks to get out of this damn $hitty weather

TTFN

Peter