1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

7 hours ago, JayW said:

Peter, it would have taken me weeks upon weeks just to do the computer modelling required to design the PE parts!  Not to mention the research to get the right config.  How did you do it so fast?  

+1. I can't even imagine how you have such incredible forward thinking to conceive all the little parts and subassemblies that you'll need PE for and make them 100% accurate, so early in the build! But I guess you've done this a few times now! :)

Craig

evening folks :)

thank you for stopping by with some encouragement :)

On 1/12/2022 at 2:59 PM, RadBaron said:

Fantastic progress, Peter!

For future reference, here are some pics of the floor area (from a P40K), note the panel lines continuing across the span of the wing. 

Hope that helps!

Denzil.

Great to hear from you Denzil - I hope all is well - thanks for that, hopefully I have captured some of that detail in the floor coming up :)

On 1/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, JayW said:

Peter, it would have taken me weeks upon weeks just to do the computer modelling required to design the PE parts!  Not to mention the research to get the right config.  How did you do it so fast?  

Hi Jay - well I had a long break over the holidays and I did put in some 10 hour shifts doing drawing after drawing - I literally went through a 320 page parts manual and copied everything I thought either I needed or could physically be done in PE - even if they are template parts for working up plastic or metal 3D versions - I think there are about 500 parts..

On 1/13/2022 at 9:41 AM, dodgem37 said:

Good show.  Lots of drawing, there.  You cut down on some of the challenging construction by using PE.  Scratching can get tiring at times.

Sincerely,

Mark

Exactly Mark - not only is it ultimately a time saver, but the results are geometrically accurate - things like rows of rivets or holes are vitually impossible to get micron perfect by hand. On top of that some shapes and parts are equally hard to capture, so having an eye for what can be done in PE is so helpful :)

so, I was away for a bit so not too much bench time, but I did get the lower cowl fairing on after adding the PE radiator parts inside first..

rear...

DG46fd.jpg

..front..

LqSglW.jpg

..I have a 3D printed part to sit in front of the lower intake - shaping it properly with all the fillets & fairings is well beyond me, but this will serve the purpose of having a hard basis part with which to work, shape & skin...

..should be here tomorrow..

4jo2iq.jpg

and how the airframe looks..

dRux7G.jpg

xprAzx.jpg

..started on some of the internals - this is the control column and rods - lots of fabricated bits from drawings - nearly got caught out with the lower mount which is two rods one above the other on early models, but as can be seen in Denzil's pic above is canted on later models - I built the canted one from drawings before realising..

the grip was made from square brass rod, worked with a dremel & files..

..it all needs priming & finessing and proper construction before it's finished..

ZCaBmh.jpg

hb9AXS.jpg

..on to the floor - this is where PE can really help - I built a jig to hold the floor in the aerofoil shape, but did not include any dihedral as its too hard to do if I use PE..

The centre rib is a laminate of just the bit you can see, with stubs of fuse wire for bolts..

this is the main floor PE with laminate parts for the central rivet strips and the wing fuel gauges, the areas clear of rivets in the centre are left as location markers for the rubbing plates..

7hb5bn.jpg

primed, painted and with the rubbing boards and a couple of pipe unions added..

ZQC0wV.jpg

iqKKub.jpg

..I love doing cockpits so will be here a while :)

TTFN

Peter