1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

8 hours ago, airscale said:

..then the I spent 2 hours $hitting myself while outer skins and frames were added..

:rofl:

I know that feeling Peter! Brilliant work on the windows. I've also been told like Kurok has mentioned that the back of the blades may have been maroon. I'll try and find where it was.....

Looking spectacular as always :)

Craig

Spectacular update Peter! Not sure anyone would doubt your skills at this point.

Not sure if it's an optical illusion on the reference P-40 you showed above, but it appears that the middle frame on the side windows carries on across the top of the fuselage and meets the other frame.

Matt 

I'm looking for conclusive proof of the maroon paint on the back of the steel props.

There are other model builds that have done this but I cannot find a photo supporting it.

Here are a collection of wartime LIFE photos in period color.  There is one that shows the back of the prop but it is in shadow so I cannot tell if it is maroon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35963591@N00/sets/72157622864527612/with/4128863535/

Howdy folks :)

On 3/3/2023 at 12:03 AM, JayW said:

And, I especially like the head rest.  Just today I Rhino modelled my headrest and armor plate on the F4U.  What did you use for the bead?  And what is your trick for sag and wrinkles?  

Hi Jay - I use milliput white and once I have the shape, just play around with a wet brush, once it dries it leaves organic shapes, not so much by design, but by accident :)  deeper creases would be harder but I guess it's the same method..

On 3/3/2023 at 6:02 AM, scvrobeson said:

Not sure if it's an optical illusion on the reference P-40 you showed above, but it appears that the middle frame on the side windows carries on across the top of the fuselage and meets the other frame.

Matt 

Thats a great spot Matt, however, it is a panel line rather then the strap - which I need to score in :)

16 hours ago, KUROK said:

I'm looking for conclusive proof of the maroon paint on the back of the steel props.

There are other model builds that have done this but I cannot find a photo supporting it.

Here are a collection of wartime LIFE photos in period color.  There is one that shows the back of the prop but it is in shadow so I cannot tell if it is maroon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35963591@N00/sets/72157622864527612/with/4128863535/

Those are amazing images KUROK - thank you - I need to look into it more :)

6 hours ago, brahman104 said:

This might be it....

Maroon prop blades

Craig

Perfect Craig! that is really helpful, I just need to see if I can see anything on the a/c I am modelling :)

so, round two of the opportunity to screw up, otherwise known a transparencies..

..now I have done the windshield, I am two for two so far, so that means I WILL screw up the sliding hood..

I tried vacforming, that failed, then I realised that apart from the top cap of the windshield it is one linear wrap around sheet of perspex, so I tried clamping PETG to some sticks and holding it over a steaming kettle to then drape over the windshield mould...

..by keeping good pressure and pulling down and in, i got it to conform eventually..

qObeEI.jpg

..I started to fettle it to fit the fuselage and built a card jig to ensure it is the right space from the seat bulkhead and at the right jaunty angle..

1aiJ0p.jpg

..this is my bird, and thankfully it doesn't have the big slanted armoured glass, just two tie rods and a square gunsight thing...

..seing that makes me think I probably should have fitted the floor gunsight projector thing in the cockpit..

4XYkIM.jpg

..this is the sight thing mounted straight on the glass..

..also note the emergency hood release button (the black dot) on the cap of the windshield..

..you can also see the tie rods either side of the big glass plate I thankfully don't have to make..

ZNJG5b.jpg

I added a vacformed cap to the windshield and the rear frame etch and set out where the sight plate went and took my life in my hands and drilled 4 holes in the glass..

U8h308.jpg

..I made up the sight from brass and a plate with the tie rods..

..the rubber grommets in the windshield were just blobs of paint pushed through the holes and cleaned off..

YnDI3E.jpg

..and all assembled with the emergency release cable hanging loose..

OWkM46.jpg

..the winsdshield was then added to the airframe carefully with blobs of CA and a constatly running airbrush blowing air to prevent white fogging..

..the panels were also added, but I have no photos until I masked it up for the anti glare panel (painted MRP super matt black - just about my favourite paint - it's bulletptroof..)..

ghZScX.jpg

..and having added the canopy rails & fairings its time for a little tour..

eSXBP6.jpg

v9hAmD.jpg

i75j88.jpg

SI2ock.jpg

hLiv5v.jpg

fK1fn9.jpg

eUxN5L.jpg

0LnD3R.jpg

..probably do the sliding part next...

TTFN
Peter