1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

• 3 weeks later...

evening folks :)

hope everyone is doing well :)

On 1/15/2023 at 6:53 PM, geedubelyer said:

Lately I have found myself watching one or two YouTube modelling channels and it occurred to me that a video of you creating these panels would be spellbinding.

I am particularly interested to understand how much hammering, sanding, buffing etc. is involved in getting the unblemished finish that you achieve.

Well, I did do patreon for a bit and have some videos like that, but to be honest I found it hard to integrate filming with building - you are really only doing one or another..

maybe when I retire and have a lot of time I might do it again :)

On 1/15/2023 at 10:55 PM, JayW said:

Peter, I forgot to ask in my latest reply - how did you get the skins flush with the chin intake fairing?  Is the fairing proud by the skin thickness?   

Hi Jay - yes, the fairing edge is built up with P38 to a strip of dymo tape so it is proud, then when the litho is butted up against it, a quick wire wool and its should be flush :)

So, P40 progress...

..it was time to try skinning the undercarriage fairings - these are the attractive bulges at the leading edge - made of three parts, they may look nice but were probably among the most challenging metalwork I have ever done..

Rk38qD.jpg

..first up was getting a nice smooth surface and blending in any existing skinning as the surface must be absolutely smooth or any undulations will transfer to the surface..

..so a spot of filler here & there, a quick prime to check..

Edu6Ng.jpg

..in order to get the panel shape, the outline needs to be set out in tape so that the border can be seen as the litho is burnished onto it.. to do this, I punched a couple of tape discs so I could set them out equally..

vcMCjQ.jpg

..soon had them both laid out...

gKXMg9.jpg

..it's asking a lot of the metal to conform to these double curvatures so I started to make the middle panel first - usual tools, hardwood blocks and a ball pein hammer to start beating to shape..

eTX7hA.jpg

after beating & fixing, the other panels were added both sides - no pics, but by this point the panels are down and need finishing - some creasing was inevitable and I am hoping they sand out..

VKGbcu.jpg

..then the panels were sanded, polished, wire woolled etc, there are still some scratches and creases visible here and there but this is as good as I can get it..

Rj1qSS.jpg

pKpeNj.jpg

4jFKQ9.jpg

..I also skinned the fairing behind the cowl flaps - more details need adding, but again more compound curves....

z3wqKq.jpg

..more skin panels were added at the lower wing root, fastnings along the fairings and the lower area is coming together..

ZDItdj.jpg

y1j0hn.jpg

2nCwbT.jpg

MWuSuW.jpg

t7M2qr.jpg

..upper wing fairings next..

TTFN

Peter

Well Peter, I have just caught up with the whole 22 pages of your magic! I love following your 1/18 scale (or any scale for that matter) odessys (it is very comforting to me to know that our scratch building techniques are very similar).

I think that the suggestion to use an appropriate  size I/D tube (either hypodermic or other tube) in a pin vice/small drill chuck to cleanly emphasise the outlines to your already applied raised nose rivets should work OK (alternatively, one of your suitably sized beading tool awls may also work as they have domed centres - a quick experiment on a piece of scrap litho may confirm this?).

I shall continue to follow your build, so thank you for your inspiration and goog luck with its completion.

Regards 

Derek 

afternoon all :)

thanks for your kind comments - makes a WIP here so special :)

I managed to get the wing fillets done - I have shown skinning many times so today is just the work as it stands :)

gNfR43.jpg

ZxROYW.jpg

MNZ5fC.jpg

mTIx8z.jpg

7RSuAh.jpg

q3wdIP.jpg

nLfgwD.jpg

..also got most of the undersides done..

qN0onK.jpg

DDFyBv.jpg

S3Zj8Y.jpg

..not sure what i will do next - maybe the windshield & upper cockpit skinning, maybe the rear glazing, maybe the control surfaces.... still lots to go :)

TTFN

Peter

Is it not time to have a gathering of Peter's builds in one section of the forum? I've re-read as many as I can find, Sea Fury demonstrator, the P 51c, the Fairey Firefly ( please, PLEASE, try and finish her! One of my favourite aeroplanes), the Tigercat (Ditto!), The Fw190, the amazing Hawker Fury ( imho one of your best ever builds: absolutely amazing from beginning to superb end! ), the race 80 Spitfire (rear canopy nightmare but still an exercise in perfection, despite that!).

They are all such a goldmine of information, from fabrication of the tiniest details to scratchbuilding complete airframes that often appear to be full sized,( but miniaturized to 1\18 scale!) any modeller, regardless of skill levels could not fail to be impressed and would undoubtedly wish to emulate Peter's

level of detail. At least in some areas! And he builds them so fast (  sure seems that way compared to my glacia! like build speed!) Although Peter might not agree with that!

So how about it Moderators?

An Airscale build thread, with every model in order? A good idea?

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

47 minutes ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

Is it not time to have a gathering of Peter's builds in one section of the forum? I've re-read as many as I can find, Sea Fury demonstrator, the P 51c, the Fairey Firefly ( please, PLEASE, try and finish her! One of my favourite aeroplanes), the Tigercat (Ditto!), The Fw190, the amazing Hawker Fury ( imho one of your best ever builds: absolutely amazing from beginning to superb end! ), the race 80 Spitfire (rear canopy nightmare but still an exercise in perfection, despite that!).

They are all such a goldmine of information, from fabrication of the tiniest details to scratchbuilding complete airframes that often appear to be full sized,( but miniaturized to 1\18 scale!) any modeller, regardless of skill levels could not fail to be impressed and would undoubtedly wish to emulate Peter's

level of detail. At least in some areas! And he builds them so fast (  sure seems that way compared to my glacia! like build speed!) Although Peter might not agree with that!

So how about it Moderators?

An Airscale build thread, with every model in order? A good idea?

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Seconded