1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

There's much of that devil one one shoulder and angel on the other going on when you judge a given effort. I usually find the angel giving me high fives after I'm done with something in the evening only to find the devil telling me what a sloppy bas***d I am come morning. Like MUCH of life you have to settle somewhere between these two polarities. 

Edited by Jim Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone :)

Thanks for all your kind words - especially about the canvas painting in the wheel wells. Perhaps, as with all things, it's just one of those things you look at and think it could have been a bit better - even if it looks fine, there is always room for improvement and I guess that's what I meant

Anyways, not much of an update today, more just proof of life really :)

..still trying to get all the panels around the wing fillets done so I can start them, so I added the fuselage sides and upper wing skins.. no in progress pics, just a few to see where I am up to..

..the port fuselage side has a hand hold and a hatch - this fuel filler hatch is only applicable for the very early versions before the B/C which my subject is. It also does not have the formation light each side that later ones have either..

pY8gPU.jpg

FB5sDv.jpg

OiDzFZ.jpg

..the other side was also done..

is9OZr.jpg

hH8aou.jpg

..and as can be seen in some of the pics above, the upper wing skins were also added..

y4cpzm.jpg

RKHq5W.jpg

h8O5Nq.jpg

Z4umN1.jpg

...and that means about 70% is skinned now..

..still some very complex areas to go around the U/C fairings, wing fillets and windshield...

RHgGvo.jpg

yucbFp.jpg

TD0FSn.jpg

See you at Telford hopefully - our airscale stand is in Hall 2 so please drop by and say hello :)

TTFN
Peter

I wonder how Curtiss formed the really complicated pieces you mention.  Hydraulic press?  English wheel?  Hydro forming?  I’ve even seen parts formed by being beaten with rubber mallets over or into a cement mold, but that seems like a lot of work for a production airplane.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy New Year all :)

Finally got a bit of time and mojo to get back after a hectic few months...

Been busy making the new Airfix Spitfire set and also adding some RB Productions tools to our website in addition to Telford, birthdays, Christmas, work and a bunch of other distractions...

anyways, enough nonsense, what has actually been going on..

For starters my Santa son-in-law surprised me with this 3D printer for Christmas..

A2CgTW.jpg

so that opens up a load of opportunities - it's the PLA one so good for structural stuff rather than details but is a fine bit of kit and simple enough even I can work it out...

..I wanted to try it on a part for the P40 so went for the spinner as this is a relatively simple thing to design & print..

..saying that, the first try failed as the pla spool got stuck for some reason so after an hour I was stuck with no tip and a squiggly mess..

NnJ42M.jpg

..changed out the pla for a spool designed for this machine and after a bit of sanding had a good, solid, smooth structure to work with. The real spinner has the tip as one big spun cone which goes back nearly to the blade outlets and after much trying this was impossible to do with litho, so I went with just doing the tip to start with where the most demands are made on the metal..

..started by rough shaping a disc..

GKirDi.jpg

..then stuck this and started to beat / sand it into shape.. in doing so, a bit fell off so that determined how big the tip cone would be...

GKwlCl.jpg

..I cut away the waste and used masking tape to get a template for the remainder of the upper cone..

ly3aSg.jpg

..used tape again to get the lower section and the all important shape and position of the blade outlets..

D1CmX6.jpg

..put that on a fresh bit of litho..

bvYkpc.jpg

..cut it out and added some rivets while it was flat & easy - even under sanding some witness marks are left so always worth doing this if I can as I can always go over them again..

irYBDg.jpg

..and this layer was added and the final scribing & detailing added..

5UcUek.jpg

..i also printed a hub / blade holder so I could test fit it on the airframe..

RYox4v.jpg

IViQEy.jpg

..the important shark side profile :)

G6TuDo.jpg

iwRDsf.jpg

l9CL5O.jpg

...it will all look better when properly fitted and the rest of the skinning is done and in fact this one was just a bit of a test with some things that could be improved so I may redo it if I can be arsed..

TTFN & hope everyone has a great New Year

Peter