1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

On 7/19/2022 at 7:29 AM, airscale said:

I had a fantastic day on Sunday, having spent the morning crawling all over The Fighter Collection's P40C G-CIIO. The team were really helpful, taking the covers off, opening the cockpit and even dropping the flaps!

I took 300 pictures of every inch of the airframe and cleared up many mysteries in realtion to what a drawing says and what real life looks like..

I'm so very happy you had that opportunity, Peter! How wonderful!

On 7/19/2022 at 7:36 AM, JayW said:

Awesome work Peter.  Nobody will have a P-40 like this .  Not even close.

Over on Wings Over New Zealand we have someone doing a David Glen-style 1/6 P-40N!

Edited by KiwiZac

Hi folks :)

On 7/19/2022 at 3:34 PM, KUROK said:

Sweet!

Yes, I'd like a copy of your Duxford photos for reference if possible.

One comment:  The landing gear fairing on the inboard side, there is no hard edge as it comes to the wheel well.  It tapers all the way down to the wing by the time it gets to the wheel well hole.

thanks Kurok, will PM you & have started to make adjustmenst to the fairings :)

On 7/24/2022 at 3:26 AM, KiwiZac said:

I'm so very happy you had that opportunity, Peter! How wonderful!

Over on Wings Over New Zealand we have someone doing a David Glen-style 1/6 P-40N!

Wow KiwiZac, that is some build - I know many of those drawings and parts now, but the idea of basically making every part individually and then assembling the airframe from them is mind blowing!

I used a slitting disc to cut free the ailerons - they have a rounded nose and the cutout in the wing is much shorter at the topside vs the bottom. Once cut away a false triling edge was added from cut down brass 'L' stock and the fairing shape carefully rolled from ali - then the hinge & other cutouts added..

XIhqaB.jpg

NQjNLG.jpg

..then the first skin panel was prepared - drawing first, then that is stuck onto litho, any holes for access panels done first, then the edges scored & cut and an awl used to add each rivet..

7ztKTy.jpg

..the rear row of rivets are raised, so these are embossed from the backside..

17q9At.jpg

..the panel is added with contact adhesive both sides, and a tape rubbing used to determine the outline of the access panel..

apUrB7.jpg

..both wings are done simultaneously with about 20 mins work on each panel then rotate to the other until both are complete - avoids fatigue & boredom - I hate repeating a lengthy task having completed it..

jP313J.jpg

..decided to do the panel above the last one as one long continuous panel (it is two) and added cutouts for gun ejection chute hatches, lending light (one side) and an inspection panel..

fgmypS.jpg

mN9bh5.jpg

..the landing light was dremelled out and a recess created for some glazing (still with protective wrap)..

Ud6UXv.jpg

..the landing light itself was made from a bit of an old pen, some bobbins, a dome from ali shaped over a ball, and the PE cover plate..

QBG8ua.jpg

..the ammo chute panels look like this on the real bird..

8wBP0E.jpg

..so these were made up using PE panels etc..

Xz5WCh.jpg

..same deal, both panels worked on at the same time, so once complete, these were laid down..

ObQNOS.jpg

xqzgfG.jpg

nFTa6m.jpg

..and the other side..

UzUHCi.jpg

KN2mnA.jpg

UW2cTD.jpg

8R5XZg.jpg

..and this is where its at on both wings...

AH9NaC.jpg

..still about 20,000 rivets to go...

probably do topside & leading edge so I can get to the U/C fairings and stop short of the wing/fuselage join. I tried to do the fillet shaping, but it's impossible before the wings are on the fuselage, and for that to happen the cockpit needs to be closed up..

will plod on with skinning the wings and see how the phasing goes... might be a bit dry in terms of variety for a bit :)

TTFN

Peter

Another fine skinning effort Peter.  Am so thankful you have taken me in under your wing so to speak, helping me with that skill.  And the ammo chutes - magical.  Shrink ray!  Oh, and the landing light - just gotta shake my head.  It looks real.

Edited by JayW

thanks chaps - very kind :)

still adding skins to the wings, so here is where it's at..

along the spar on the upper wing is this long pair of panels which includes two access doors to the guns..

W9ARg2.jpg

TH5z8Y.jpg

this is then added with a tape hinge & contact cement..

the panel above the aileron has already been added with a cutout for the inspection hatch..

3sv8ui.jpg

..hatch added with scored ali tube for a hinge..

SnxXam.jpg

..tape used to derive the shape of the leading edge panel - a pencil is used with tape to determine the rivet lines and once this is removed represents the real world shape that is needed to skin this area..

r5P671.jpg

..the tape is carefully removed and used to create the wraparound panels..

bXamWO.jpg

..that panel is then added to both wings..

tyV1nS.jpg

..more panels & hatches added to the top wings..

Bj1QfT.jpg

v407nl.jpg

teucjw.jpg

..same for the bottoms, the panel around the U/C fairing is the precursor to the compound panels that will cover it, plus the ammo doors have been added..

rGW8AN.jpg

TCZBO4.jpg

X01zKw.jpg

l46f7e.jpg

..its getting close to the point where the wings are added to be able to skin the U/C areas so I may move onto fuselage skins at the tail & nose while they are seperate parts as they are easier to handle - the upshot is I want to get as much skin on as I can without putting it in danger areas for filling / sanding etc

until next time

TTFN
Peter

Edited by airscale

Not even going to bother with telling you how mind expanding all this is because you’ve heard it countless times.  However, I have a couple of questions:  How close are the tape you make patterns with and the metal in thickness?  Pretty close?  Not close at all?  If one is noticeably thinner than the other, do you have to make allowances or is that irrelevant?  And, sorry to ask you to repeat yourself, but what exactly is the material you are using and how do we mortals get our hands on some?