1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

Hmmmm.  Are you absolutely 100% sure there are no gun fairings in that one photo?  Cause I’m pretty sure I can see one right there beside the intake from all the way down here where I sit in Nowhere, Ga.  Could be wrong and all, but I’m feeling pretty confident.  Might be worth some closer perusal before you go much farther.

7 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Hmmmm.  Are you absolutely 100% sure there are no gun fairings in that one photo?  Cause I’m pretty sure I can see one right there beside the intake from all the way down here where I sit in Nowhere, Ga.  Could be wrong and all, but I’m feeling pretty confident.  Might be worth some closer perusal before you go much farther.

Now then OBG, clearly Nowhere, Ga is the home of the galaxys best observers as I think you are right..

Having convinced myself of what I wanted to see, on closer inspection there is clearly another reflective line..

PJthi7.jpg

thanks for the corection - thats what I love about LSP :)

Peter

Guest Vincent

This build is one of the reasons that a retired modeller like me keeps coming back. Every time I get that "oh, that's nice to see talent at work" effect. Gives me a smile for the rest of the day

:)

On 5/9/2022 at 10:12 AM, airscale said:

Now then OBG, clearly Nowhere, Ga is the home of the galaxys best observers as I think you are right..

Having convinced myself of what I wanted to see, on closer inspection there is clearly another reflective line..

PJthi7.jpg

thanks for the corection - thats what I love about LSP :)

Peter

I really dont think that you need any coreection. This is all i can say. I'm still looking for a jaw.

curtiss-wright-p40-g-ciio-on-the-flightl

curtiss-p-40-tomahawk-usaaf-markings-dux

curtiss-p-40c-tomahawk-41-13357-g-ciio-a

curtiss-wright-p40-g-ciio-on-the-flightl

curtiss-wright-p40-warhawk-at-the-flying

evening ladies :)

a little more done...

I had already asked Tim to print the gun cover parts before I thought there were no guns on my subject, so now i know there are, these were up next..

I had only 3D modelled the basic shape and knew they would need a lot of work to get in the right place and faired in on the model..

zYW1UC.jpg

..first, a lot of careful measurement & marking out..

r0HwFG.jpg

..then chopped out the upper cowl so the parts fitted and made up a jig with carbon rods to hold them at least parallel in one dimension - in the end the whole model was laid out over datum lines to make sure the covers were level in all 3 axis...

QYc5kK.jpg

..CA'd in place and filler added...

CMOcBU.jpg

..more fettling..

ktfL8Q.jpg

..and done... fortunately these are painted black as they are in the anti glare panel, but I haven't figured out how all this area will be skinned with all the many panels, fasteners & rivets (some raised) in this area...

oxf6Pf.jpg

I946eI.jpg

..with that done, it was time to get back in the cockpit - starting with adding some components to this sidewall... I hope to get both sidewalls finished and I might join them where they meet above the instrument panel (all done in a jig) so I can add the panel and cross bracing and then drop all that onto the fuselage floor / seat bulkhead..

I9zJkY.jpg

..with some components added, including the canopy winder and other bobbins..

4bMPFK.jpg

Up7p2S.jpg

..then the seat frame which is quite recognisable..

3kUcoQ.jpg

..started by drilling and filing some ali tubes to get the mount points that meet the bulkhead, and adding some micro rivets as seen in the photo..

dr5TlU.jpg

..the bend was added by ensuring the rods were parallel, taping together and clamping against a rounded block of card - I also fed fuse wire into the tubes so they didn't kink when bent..

zRtNLz.jpg

..then they were made to fit the mounts on Sta #5 and the floor..

H8rgJm.jpg

..to make sure I could add the rest of the structure, but at the same time ensure it still fitted where it should, I CA'd a block of card jig to hold everything exacty where it was while I added the remaining frames..

ShRoy1.jpg

..then the remaining framework was bent up and added and the jig carefully removed..

Uji3Oe.jpg

..and a test fit of the seat to see how it all looks..

YUKOVT.jpg

aYW9sB.jpg

xYFHYr.jpg

..still a ton to do, but getting there slowly :)

TTFN

Peter

Howdy all :)

On 5/16/2022 at 12:09 AM, JayW said:

Wonderful work - do you even bother with plastic anymore, except for tooling?

Hi Jay - thank you :) yes, I do work with plastic - I find metal easier to work and find with plastic I can never make things look crisp like you or Oliver, i round edges, cut wavy lines and generally make for a bit more sloppy work. thats not to say I don't use it, I just prefer metal especially for smaller components...

On 5/16/2022 at 2:43 AM, brahman104 said:

Love the little phenolic pulley, and yeah and EVERYTHING else! Wait, how did you make those seat mounting tubes? They appear to be solid at one end (where you've filed the mounts into them and open at the other...... what is this magic?

Love it!

Craig

Hi Craig :) - yes, they are tubes, i just filled them with fuse wire for most of their length so I could bend them without kinking them - but the mount ends are just the tube slotted and worked :)

so a little more done - I was messing about in the cockpit still & made up the landing gear / hydraulic thingummy with a handle that is on the left of the seat and generally got the left sidewall nearly finished..

fW6Qpk.jpg

..the zipped pocket was a little trick - i tried making it in PE as the frame and mount and then made the centre pocket in PE too with a zipper image I nicked off the internet.. apart from being flat, when I would like it a bit more lifelike, I think it just about works..

..also finished the seat frame, mounted the seat and added seatbelts - only lapstraps as this is pre-1942..

2An3eL.jpg

vPhtgR.jpg

..next was the support beam that holds the instrument panel..

1qwfJx.jpg

..it's just a bit of square brass tube with some fittings added - the lower centre bit is folded PE and filler and is part of the gun controls..

I made up the control handles from brass rod soldered together as these were about 4mm and plastic would be too week a joint to shape properly...

..there are still decals to go on these bits and the main panel..

Y3yQCb.jpg

A8DF1C.jpg

..the intention was to get all the inside done and get the sidewalls, floor in fact everything all buttoned up before starting the wings, but then I thought there will be so much handlind and filling & sanding in making the wings fit and especially the big wing fillets that I thought really I should rethink the approach and get all the big chunky work done before the model id filled with fragile detail..

so....

..I spent some time making factory drawings into my own drawings that work on the principle of a 2mm plactic card keel..

Xp7GWb.jpg

..these were then printed and the blanks cut out... there are about 6 ribs I had the aerofoil of so these were drawn with a 2mm area in their middles that need cutting out for the wing blank. It meand you lose the rounded tip, and some of the fine point at the back, but this can be shaped later..

...here the two blanks are clamped together to get uniform shape..

0sMIQn.jpg

..the slots are for square brass spars that slot into the brass square stub spars in the fuselage..

..these were defined long ago when I used a centre rib to randomly place two spar locations..

3mAqnD.jpg

..the ribs had these marked and the wings were assembled with top & bottom ribs, slots for the spars and a carbon rod spar for stiffness..

..the random placement of two spars, bit me on the ar$e as one is where the wheel well is (I didn't expect the U/C track to be as narrow as it is) so the stub spar is very short..

BOPEEA.jpg

the flap area is also removed as only the upper skin is there on the real one so the ribs also make an allowance for that and once I add a sub skin in brass sheet the bits sticking out are scored ready to break off..

mOX2TR.jpg

..there was quite a bit of chopping about to get it to fit in the right position and it won't win any engineering precision prizes, but it does work..

..the rear stub spars are about 0.5mm out, but it is enough to stop them sliding in until I modify the mounts

LnZSd1.jpg

..this is all a dry fit with the spars until I am happy..

HrBLb0.jpg

..and on a good day for Red Bull, we also have wings... :)

qGD3it.jpg

TTFN

Peter