1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

Peter - another example of model detailing that withstands the effects of macro lens pictures.  I can detail - but the truth comes out under magnification.  Honestly I don't know how you do it.....  

Can you explain to us how you do those fuselage frames?   They look pretty good to me, and infinitely better than what I do (typically a block of plastic stock).  

This isn't modeling, this is magic and I'm not only impressed with your skilled updates, but your growth as a modeler/magician.  You are trying new stuff all the time which has to be super interesting and rewarding.  You continue to enrich this forum at a super high level and I thank you for your contributions.

Cheers,

Chuck

3 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

This isn't modeling, this is magic and I'm not only impressed with your skilled updates, but your growth as a modeler/magician.  You are trying new stuff all the time which has to be super interesting and rewarding.  You continue to enrich this forum at a super high level and I thank you for your contributions.

Cheers,

Chuck

I am totally with Chuck here!!!

John

1 hour ago, chuck540z3 said:

Cheers,

Chuck

+1

howdy folks :)

On 1/26/2022 at 8:20 PM, JayW said:

Peter - another example of model detailing that withstands the effects of macro lens pictures.  I can detail - but the truth comes out under magnification.  Honestly I don't know how you do it.....  

Can you explain to us how you do those fuselage frames?   They look pretty good to me, and infinitely better than what I do (typically a block of plastic stock).  

Hey Jay - the fuselage frames are PE laminates taken from the Curtiss drawings on aircorps library, with a thin strip of litho on their edge as you can't add a folding edge to a curve... it's all well and good, but it does require the skin to be exactly the same profile as the drawing and mine weren't so they needed reworking.

mH5Fbe.jpg

On 1/28/2022 at 4:46 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Cheers,

Chuck

..now Chuck, I can assure you that quite apart from blushing when I read this, the feeling is entirely mutual for you and many other fine modellers we are fortunate to have grace this place :)

so, I started to complete the fuselage sidewalls with the remaining structural details and some of the components - including the canopy retraction wheel - this is a superb pic kindly supplied by Jennings..

..you can see not only the wheel, but the curved guard panel that covers the cables to it's right..

kd5kdx.jpg

..I made this up from PE and other bits, also made the map case and got them ready for priming..

2PLxb8.jpg

..the right side is structurally complete with mounts for various things, stringers, formers etc and that guard for the canpoy winder thing..

dwFWyb.jpg

..and the other side, which has a guard for the elevator / rudder trim control cables...

hWcKaC.jpg

..after priming with mr surfacer, it was all given a basecoat as soon I won't be able to get in all the nooks & crannies..

BE94Ow.jpg

..temporarily mounted the wheel for the pic and added the map case - this seems to be in different positions on early models so I went with the one that gave most clearance with the seat..

g8Csnp.jpg

Vwl6Yi.jpg

..the green seems very olive drab in the pics, but i think its the lighting or blue background washing it out..

ChEr1W.jpg

wUxcaJ.jpg

v2lapq.jpg

z8Qehx.jpg

..still an awful lot left to do..

TTFN

Peter