1/16 Tamiya RC M51 Super Sherman

ironman1945

Work on the turret, before installation of the gun elevation/recoil hardware. Added some weld details. Bit more texture to the turret body.

I said at the start this is being built as a runner, and I wasn't going to spend too much time detailing the heck out of it.  

But I do like the look of a Sherman with a canvas mantlet cover. I had to come up with a way of making it workable to allow elevation and depression.

I taped the gun in its maximum depressed position, and used tissue paper with a very thin plastic backing for the cover. Glued it to the top of the turret/mantlet. Then reversed the procedure for the bottom. The sides, I just made sure there was enough to allow for freedom of movement.

mantlet attachment hardware added with strip styrene. Still need to add the anchor points.   I think it looks ok and its functional.

Cheers ... and GO BENGALS! Joe Burrow is da man!

Dave/Ironman1945

20220122_181047

20220122_181037

20220122_181026

• 2 weeks later...

When I started this, I intended to keep detailing to a minor level since I'm building it to be a runner/driven hard. Just wanted to get it going on its tracks!

HAHAHAH and as usual... "Oh, I'll just add that little detail".... "Oh, maybe one more little thing"................Hahah well, the main thing is I'm enjoying it.

First up, rear hull details and addition of the fender braces.  Grab handles from both plastic and copper on the engine deck.

20220206_163533

Installation of the spare road wheels on the hull

20220206_163504

Turret details. Clips for gun mantlet cover. More weld beads. Hatch grab handles. Replaced molded plastic springs with ones made from wire. Added the commander's periscope holder under the hatch.

20220206_163740

20220206_163932

Finally a look at the turret with the huge 105mm gun tube added.

20220206_164822

That's it for now. A little more detail work on the hull.... tow cable, pioneer tools, jerry cans/jerry can holders, some stowage.. and it will be time for paint.

In the meantime... boy, there have been some great games for the NFL playoffs.

Can't decide who to cheer for in the Superbowl.... Bengals? Rams?.... Just hope it'll be a great game.

Cheers, and everyone stay safe!

Dave/Ironman1945

Edited by ironman1945

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2022 at 4:27 PM, JeepsGunsTanks said:

Sweet build so far. I'm so Sad Tamiya killed the Sherman Product line!

That mantlet cover looks amazing. 

Thanks for the comments. BTW great website, lots of great Sherman info!

Been working slowly on all the various hull fittings.  Have not been working very fast, but to paint this beast I'm waiting for warmer weather so I can get it outside anyway. Here are some various pics.

First up, tow cable constructed of wire strands and plastic ends and fittings on the hull such as barbed wire holder and siren cover. The Tamiya kit headlight guards are pretty thick but I couldnt bring myself to build new ones.... As I said at the start, its a runner so trying not to get all "rivet counter"... but sometimes we cant help ourselves.

20220313_221420

Rear of the hull with the new gun travel lock (3D printed ordered off of Shapeways) rear headlight guards and hull lifting hooks.  Round disks are spare bogie wheel carriers, just waiting for wheels to be fitted.

20220313_221223

This time also showing the rear stowage rack.

20220313_221153

Some of the pioneer tools fitted, as well as the fender braces.

20220313_221113

I'd thought about doing more detail work with the tools... and about smoothing the hull down more as I think the cast effect is a bit exaggerated, but in the end decided against it.

Cheers and stay safe everyone!

Dave/Ironman1945

Edited by ironman1945

• 1 month later...

Been awhile, but finally have her finished. Well, still need to add stowage and a figure in the turret, and some other touch ups and a bit more weathering.  Have not posted updates because, once I got her up and running, I spent just as much time running her around outside as I did finishing the build. 

I really really enjoyed building her.... its been a one of the best modelling experiences I can remember. Liked it so much I bought some other Tamiya 1/16 RC kits. Great fun.

20220508_092601

The resin aftermarket hull I used to convert the Tamiya M4A3 based hull was a great product, easy to use and was not to too hard to modify to the existing Tamiya parts.

20220508_092851

She's a heavy beast, 3.5 kg/just under 8 pounds. Its like "scale" weight..... lots of fun to watch the track action over uneven ground.

20220508_093014

Finally an idea of the size of this beast, a photo taken beside a Tamiya spray can and a bottle of Vallejo paint.

20220508_093313

Will update with more photos once stowage and commander figure are completed.

In the meantime... I have a 1/32 Fly Hurricane to finish up.... but... I keep looking at the 1/16 Tamiya RC Tiger I Early Production sitting in my hobby room.... and I think " I bet I could convert that to a Tiger I Mid Production"

Cheers and have a great day !

Dave/Ironman1945