Rufe 1/32 tamiya/MDC

mc65

hi all!

here a project started a lot of years ago. decades, actually. 

at the time the only A6M available was the -5 Hasegawa, with all its limits, dimensional and 70's style. moreover, as I tried to understand it, my certainties crumbled until they thinned to a single one: sooner or later I would have done it, and I would have done it on certainties, not on hypotheses.

and Tamiya finally came up with the suitable base, a -2, and the MDC made a resin set for making my-damn-Rufe.

very well, but some uncertainties about the painting also emerged, until I recently found documentation that comforted me on what I should try to reproduce, hallelujah.

so, here we are. 

IMG_8936.HEIC

Beyond the conversion itself, I focused on the weathering of the paints. I wanted both the red primer used on these aircraft and the factory color under the definitive green of the operating theater to appear.

to achieve this I used the salt technique, but using baking soda, then eliminated with vinegar. in this way the peeling is finer, and the residues practically...well, zero, altough technically this is a Rufe. :rolleyes:

IMG_3156.HEIC

this effect was built in layers, obviously, each one protected with transparent for subsequent treatment. the hard part was keeping the layers thin!

IMG_2990.HEIC

I worked the mainplane and the floats separately for ease of handling, joining up these at the very last stage.

IMG_3232.HEIC

the trolley supplied by MDc was on my opinion too fragile to support the weight of the whole finished model, so I put it aside, saving just the wheels, and built a new one in welded brass and wood, based on the MDC one, on the Tamiya 1/48 and on the historical photos found.

IMG_2375.HEIC

much better, IMHO. after some close inspection of the original photos and with the help of a friend from Tokyo, we decided that the writing on the wooden poles reads "front left/right" and "left/right".

IMG_5905.HEIC

IMG_8940.HEIC

the building itself was free of troubles, I just cut off the headrest/rollbar not present in this version, and added few details here and there, mainly in the cockpit and engine area.

IMG_3893.HEIC

IMG_5511.HEIC

IMG_5836.HEIC

all in all I'm quite satisfied by this work, now I'm just recharging the batteries to throw myself in the last step of the idro-trilogy I've in mind!

IMG_5904.HEIC

cheers, Paolo