Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 G6

matto21

Hi all,

Firstly, a very merry Christmas to you all!

Like many of us I suspect, I'm a serial starter of builds, but not a serial finisher of them!

I was offered this kit by a friend for a very reasonable price and couldn't refuse! He'd completed the first few construction steps up to and including joining the fuselage and painting the cockpit before shelving it. 

I'd heard great things about this kit and it's been a while since I've built a Tamiya kit.

Starting point for me was tidying up, repainting and weathering the cockpit. 

Once I'd done that, I needed replacement belts because I'm really not a fan of belt decals, even Tamiya ones. I fashioned some primitive replacements.

I've not decided if I'll display the engine, but regardless, painting it was a very enjoyable task!

The fit of parts is really remarkable, especially the wing to fuselage join (dry fit above and glued below). 

And that's it so far, progress has inevitably slowed due to the festivities!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update, as I've made good progress over the Xmas period.

I detailed the undercarriage with some basic brake lines using micro rod and wire...

And got them painted, along with the main wheels...

I assembled the final panels which attach to the windscreen - I'd been putting off doing this because it'd also involve masking the glazing, which I never enjoy, but it wasn't too bad a task.

All the removable sections are now built. Although they fit remarkably well all things considered, I'm going to glue them as I won't be displaying the engine parts. 

19a

The seam around the gun cover looks really noticeable in this pic, it's not quite as bad as it looks.

Finally, although I bought the Eduard LooK panel to use, I had a go at painting the kit one. With the decals in place it looks pretty decent and I think I'll actually use it.

And that's it...back at work from tomorrow so progress will slow right down. Hopefully I can get on with the painting shortly...

Matt

Edited by matto21

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments!

Things have progressed...

Painting has started on the undersides. I'm not doing any of Tamiya's schemes because they're a bit uninspiring in my opinion. I have some AM decals so will be doing "Yellow" 13 from JG 53 as it has a yellow cowling and white wingtips.

I've also started on the prop - the rear has been "chipped" using the ever-inconsistent chipping fluid technique. 

The spiral decal, always one of the biggest challenges when doing Luftwaffe WW2 aircraft, turned out alright too.

Matt

• 2 months later...