1/32 JA37 Viggen (Jetmads)

Zola25

Hello All

I thought we could use (yet) another build thread on the Jetmads Viggen ;) - or rather a Finishing thread. 

I am getting closer to finishing this one and I thought I would share some images of my progress. This will also mark the first time that I show off my work to you guys so I hope you like it.

I am planning to post a "Ready For Inspection" when its complete, where I will also share some thoughts on the kit and the entire build process. No pictures from the build process though as I simply didn´t take any..

The main paints used is the full MRP set made for the Viggen. These were applied over a few coats of MR Surfacer 1500 mixed roughly 50/50 with Mr Hobby levelling thinner.

Masking is quite a challenge but for the main part I used the masking set from DN Models. (It really didn´t fit well on the main fuselage the way I used them so get your masking tape out! - and take a couple weeks off work;)

I didn´t really like the way the paints came out (no surprise with this paint method) so the light green was oversprayed/dusted with Gunze H58 Interior green. The Black was dulled down using Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black. The Dark Green was dusted with MRP-249 SAC Bomber Green - I felt that both green colors really needed some yellow to make them "pop" some more. The tan color was dealt with using a mix of various browns to tie them all together.  Everything was then highlighted and shaded with various hues of those colors.

/Niels

35lUXz.jpgPW2lBn.jpgUOnOcU.jpgdKb0jd.jpg0owmm8.jpgRIM1Fg.jpgK42QQM.jpgwASpfO.jpg

Edited by Zola25

10 hours ago, AnthonyWan said:

That looks EXCELLENT Niels! 

Any build tips to share? 

Also - what adhesive did you use on your build for the major components? 

I have used Black slow dry CA glue from Ammo by MiG together with Magic Dust from the same brand. That combination will give you a very strong bond.

..and it will give you enough time to make final adjustments to the parts before it sets. 

I found it very intimidating to be using CA glue on an entire build but I have grown more comfortable with it by now. Maybe I will eventually get around to that 1/32 PBY Catalina from HpH I have been dreaming about.. ;)

12 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

This build sets a VERY high bar for the followers. Brilliant work and the camo looks perfect to me. Thank you for posting these. and if you have any "areas to watch for" build tips, they would be equally welcome.

Gary

Thank You Gary

As far as build tips go, I would certainly direct you to the great build threads from Marc31 and Aigore. It seems we share many of the same issues along the way.

The fine detail at the root of my wings and canards were badly damaged in transport so it was a big pain to make that fit. I sometimes regret not asking for replacements from Jetmads but one thing led to another... In general i have spent about 90% of my time cleaning the parts to get the best fit and 10% filling joints. That is a process that works better for me because my achilles heal is re-scribing. I am no good at that at all so I will go to great lenghts to preserve the surface detail already there.