Aircorps Library - Modelmaking & Warbirds combine

If you know, you know all about Aircorps Library...

If you don't, you don't know what you are missing!

Part of Aircorps Aviation, the largest warbird restoration & maintenance shop in the US, they have an incredible online resource of tens of thousands of manufacturer drawings of many aircraft that we lust over and try to reproduce in miniature like the P51, B17, F6F, F4U, Spitfire, Mosquito etc etc

well, I had a really interesting video call with them as it seems modellers make greater use of this resource than real aircraft operators and they were keen to understand what we needed. I used the Library when I made a 1/18 P51C which was when we first connected and as many on here know it is impossible to get things right without cross checking or using original drawings to ensure kit parts, or scratch parts are right

Ester at Aircorps just published a blog that really spells out what they can do, and I know from taking to her, that they have plans to make this goldmine of drawings & manuals for aircraft, engines, radios etc even more accessible to modellers

It's an interesting read, I hope you enjoy it

https://aircorpslibrary.com/blog/calling-all-warbird-model-builders/

I am also thrilled they enjoyed me building 'Lopes Hope 3rd' as much as I did :)

Peter

Aircorps Library is an incredible, invaluable resource, and has provided material for both my model building and writing. Well  worth the subscription fee! Everything from factory drawings of parts, tech orders and manuals to drawings of airframe stencils and their placement. So addicting!! 

It’ll be interesting to see how they plan to shift to provide access to modellers. 

Thanks for sharing this. 

Richard

On 12/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, airscale said:

If you know, you know all about Aircorps Library...

If you don't, you don't know what you are missing!

Part of Aircorps Aviation, the largest warbird restoration & maintenance shop in the US, they have an incredible online resource of tens of thousands of manufacturer drawings of many aircraft that we lust over and try to reproduce in miniature like the P51, B17, F6F, F4U, Spitfire, Mosquito etc etc

well, I had a really interesting video call with them as it seems modellers make greater use of this resource than real aircraft operators and they were keen to understand what we needed. I used the Library when I made a 1/18 P51C which was when we first connected and as many on here know it is impossible to get things right without cross checking or using original drawings to ensure kit parts, or scratch parts are right

Ester at Aircorps just published a blog that really spells out what they can do, and I know from taking to her, that they have plans to make this goldmine of drawings & manuals for aircraft, engines, radios etc even more accessible to modellers

It's an interesting read, I hope you enjoy it

https://aircorpslibrary.com/blog/calling-all-warbird-model-builders/

I am also thrilled they enjoyed me building 'Lopes Hope 3rd' as much as I did :)

Peter

I'm glad that they've shifted their opinion of modellers, and I wouldn't be suprised if it was specifically your Lopes Hope build that helped the cause!

Ester is a treasure trove of knowledge, and has made something really special of the Aircorps Library :D

Denzil

I went back and scrolled through the site and kind of chuckled to myself. Perhaps the ONE plane we're in desperate need of understanding more about and the oh, so many variations of the 18,000 of them built is the B-24.  They don't have anything on it.  That would be a treasure trove. And we could finally start making sense of the "Consolidated Mess."

-Peter

Has anyone seen a set of blueprints for the B-24?  I can’t remember seeing  any but since I’m almost 60, I suffer from CRS.

They have the B-17 but pretty much only the Boeing prints.  Nobody I know has any idea about the Vega or Douglas prints and the Boeing prints don’t always  (read as seldom) contain BVD pool information.  I’d love to see a batch of the UAL mod center prints too.

Edited by Juggernut

Thank you all so much for the kind words about the site! I'm a new member to Large Scale Planes, and have been learning the ropes, but I am very excited to get more involved in the modeler community.

As for the B-24... I would absolutely love to add more information to the site related to the Liberator. All of the info we have available is donated to us for scanning, and then returned to the original owner. Because of this I am a bit at the mercy of whatever it is that people decide to share. I have often wondered where the trove of B-24 materials are, because they're certainly not floating around for general use! If anyone knows where some manuals or drawings are located please share the contact!

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I posted a new set of engineering drawings to the AirCorps Library website yesterday. Over 5,000 drawings for the A-24 Banshee / SBD Dauntless! I'm really excited about this one because many people love the SBD and I have been asked many times when I was going to post drawings for it. I digitized the drawings for the SBD restoration that will be done at Pioneer Aero out of New Zealand, and they were generous enough to allow me to make the drawings available to all of our Library users. If you want to see some sample images that I pulled of the microfilm click here.

• 1 year later...