Hobby Boss B-24L (26 Feb 2023: tail turret)

easixpedro

Glad to see you back at work!   Learning a lot about the B-24, never knew some had that “stinger” tail gun mount.    

Sorry to hear about your dog, that’s a tough break.   I’ve got an 11 year old Chocolate Lab.   Lately she’s been struggling with walking.  Vet said there isn’t much that can be done at her age.   Just trying to enjoy my time with her.      

54 minutes ago, John1 said:

Glad to see you back at work!   Learning a lot about the B-24, never knew some had that “stinger” tail gun mount.    

Sorry to hear about your dog, that’s a tough break.   I’ve got an 11 year old Chocolate Lab.   Lately she’s been struggling with walking.  Vet said there isn’t much that can be done at her age.   Just trying to enjoy my time with her.      

Yup, and as Pigfighter just said, if I can be the human she Thinks I am, I’m doing alright.

Happy New Year ya miscreants!

Managed to eke out a bit more bench time. If you recall a few pages back, I’d gotten glue on one of the bulged nose windows. I figured it was time to replace it before I get to the point of buttoning things up. Made a rubber mold over the bum window and then cast a copy in resin. I used that to then smash mold a replacement. Took a bunch of attempts, but eventually got one I was happy with. Oddly clearer than the Kitty Hawk UH-1 windows I used (don’t know if it’s worth it to remake the other side).

Here’s a couple of the molds I made. One has extended sides so that it’d fit snuggly in the fuselage. You can also see a couple of windows that didn’t make the QC cut.

52599003064_bec844a508_b.jpg

Here’s the replacement window in place.

52598249297_5a9a5af329_b.jpg

Managed to get the pilots painted and in place. Nothing special here, just the resin figures. I opted not to put flak vests and helmets on them (had been considering it, but for the sake of eventually finishing this build, opted not to).

52599003084_e8279ed578_b.jpg

Here’s where I’m at now. Will likely use my last 2 ResKit figures to make the waist gunners, and scratchbuild the Navigator and Bombardier. They’re buried in the nose and won’t really be visible, so can use my sub-par figures thereB)

Here’s a pic of the ol’ spare parts bin and me trying to cobble together figures… should be fun though. You can see the beginnings of the Navigator laying across his table and peering out of the windows, similar to the photo I posted a page ago.

52599262843_e7ba7b7355_b.jpg

Stay safe out there, and Here’s to 2023.

-Peter

Edited by easixpedro

• easixpedro changed the title to Hobby Boss B-24J (31 Dec 2022)
12 hours ago, chrish said:

Miscreant!?

I resemble that remark

really coming along nicely!!

Ha, don’t we all?  And thanks!

10 hours ago, JayW said:

Man you can mold - that's for sure.  Keep her going.  And Happy New Year!

Thanks Jay. Molding and making parts is a skill I’m working to improve. This is where the internet tricks us all. I only posted a picture showing two of the attempts, but there must have been at least 12 before I got one that I was willing to accept. But we all see what the poster wants us to see, i.e. the finished results. But that’s why I show a few of the multiple attempts so folks realize I’m working at it too.

-Peter

Practiced my wood working skills yesterday and made a ‘little’ base to mount this beast. (Only stained right now, still needs a final finish and some touch up)

I’m gobsmacked at the size…

52602716640_7c12831bcd_b.jpg

52601797012_1562fb7284_b.jpg

Think I need to cut the rod and lower it by about 3 inches, but otherwise am pleased with the overall look.

I plan on making a resin copy of his wings to affix to the pedestal and maybe a nice 15th AF patch too. 

-Peter

• easixpedro changed the title to Hobby Boss B-24J (2 Jan 2023)
46 minutes ago, JayW said:

Dude - by my calculation 41+ inches.  Insane.  You need a museum.

Only reason I started this project is because she’s already got a home at the SAC museum. I work with them frequently and asked their curator if they wanted it (the one bomber they don’t have is a B-24?!) Said they could build a case for it and everything. 

I don’t know how Tom Probert displays all his beauties…

-Peter

You know Peter - my favorite genre of aircraft are WW2, for some reason.  I am not alone.  And I have my favorites (the P-51 is my favorite; I'll say it loud and proud; it should be everyone's favorite).  But for just a pure raw war machine, in the USAAF arsenal anyway, it is hard to top the P-47 and the B-24.  What work horses!  And their fliers working in the teeth of the most furious fighting.  I am glad you are doing this build, as well as Thunnus's razorback.   

Edited by JayW

Got the bombardier mostly done. Just need to finish up the buckles for his parachute harness. Or not, as you can see how little is actually visible...

20230104_181554

You'll never see this portion as it'll be blocked by the turret. 

20230104_181617

Later in the war the Navigators were trained to toggle bombs off the lead ship to reduce the number of men exposed to danger. I could leave the Nav out, he won't be seen, but I like the idea of him looking through the bulged window. We'll see I guess!

Edited by easixpedro

• easixpedro changed the title to Hobby Boss B-24J (6 Jan 2023)
2 minutes ago, brahman104 said:

Looking awesome Peter! I like the display stand. Did you make a locator inside the fuselage to give strength to the mounting?

Crew figures are super cool too!

Craig

Not yet. I just took a power drill and drilled through the top of the bomb bay and the GIGANTIC wing spar that comes with the kit. Surprisingly stout!

I've got some styrene stock that I'll JB Weld to the spar and upper fuselage to make it all rock solid.  There will be pics when I get to that point for sure.

Need to make the 2 waist gunners next, (in addition to the Navigator).  But before I do them, I need to figure out the final enclosed waist window and the .50s there.  Later in the war, they had 'computerized' gun sights vice the old ring/bead style.  Need to educate myself a bit before making those. That and the ammo belts.  Scratching my head on that one, as the kit ones are rubber and give me pause...