Centurion MkIII Korean War 1953 1/35 Tamiya . No tool like an old tool ................ from 1971 .

Panzerwomble

For many a long year the main / only show in town for this iconic tank . This is the third time I've built this one , and was bit of a "fun" build and to play around with pre and post shading , most of which doesn't come though in the pics. 

We now have numerous AFV Club Versions ( my Mk 5 / will become MK 11 is slowly grinding along), Amusing Hobby's direct copy of the AFV but less "good bits " ( no metal barrel , clear parts , or separate tyres with the strengthening ribs , or any parts to make other versions etc ) . Putting the MK V WIP next to the MK 3 , the MkIII correctly has a slightly shorter hull .  

Having more than a few Cents knocking about , I "upgraded" the Tamiya with an AFV Club 30 cal and rubber tracks; the front drivers hood bin on the glacis from the AH kit; some resin stowage and odd scratched metal bits .

Apparently in Korea , Brits used them to bolster infantry positions , generally on the mountain tops , where the 20lbr would "snipe" during the day , and the North Koreans bombard back at night , hence bins track guards etc getting blasted off with fair regularity . Simon Dunstan's primer book "British Battle Tanks Post War 1946-2016" has some interesting reminiscences.

E7-CC031-E-1-D30-46-C9-AF2-F-1-C9-D4-BAD

C5793-A96-DB21-4689-BBCE-D977-FE873715.j

95-C5-E76-B-4-CE0-4472-AFF1-00582-F951-C

Edited by Panzerwomble
spelling as eveeeer

• Panzerwomble changed the title to Centurion MkIII Korean War 1953 1/35 Tamiya . No tool like an old tool ................ from 1971 .

Right , too many nice Mig21's on RFI for me to ignore mine much longer , so off for another NMF extravaganza ..

........... Mk11 Cent is still sat at  the end of the bench and Kurt's giving me "that" Germanic look again ...bless him - he's 40 next year , getting a bit old for this game . 

8-FC47-D79-66-E6-4892-A73-D-F87402793955

On 12/2/2021 at 9:32 PM, Panzerwomble said:

For many a long year the main / only show in town for this iconic tank . This is the third time I've built this one , and was bit of a "fun" build and to play around with pre and post shading , most of which doesn't come though in the pics. 

We now have numerous AFV Club Versions ( my Mk 5 / will become MK 11 is slowly grinding along), Amusing Hobby's direct copy of the AFV but less "good bits " ( no metal barrel , clear parts , or separate tyres with the strengthening ribs , or any parts to make other versions etc ) . Putting the MK V WIP next to the MK 3 , the MkIII correctly has a slightly shorter hull .  

Having more than a few Cents knocking about , I "upgraded" the Tamiya with an AFV Club 30 cal and rubber tracks; the front drivers hood bin on the glacis from the AH kit; some resin stowage and odd scratched metal bits .

Apparently in Korea , Brits used them to bolster infantry positions , generally on the mountain tops , where the 20lbr would "snipe" during the day , and the North Koreans bombard back at night , hence bins track guards etc getting blasted off with fair regularity . Simon Dunstan's primer book "British Battle Tanks Post War 1946-2016" has some interesting reminiscences.

E7-CC031-E-1-D30-46-C9-AF2-F-1-C9-D4-BAD

C5793-A96-DB21-4689-BBCE-D977-FE873715.j

95-C5-E76-B-4-CE0-4472-AFF1-00582-F951-C

Great model.

I am busy with a 1/25 but there is a rumour of a 1/16 from Tamiya:m0152:

https://tamiyablog.com/2021/11/full-details-of-upcoming-tamiya-56044-1-16-rc-british-battle-tank-centurion-mk-iii-full-option-complete-kit/

Nick

1/6 

A build thread: https://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3931&fbclid=IwAR3NAn24hHDykJ0YWJmNUroORwjHKNUwwkrktlHE_rbCBE8VES6_AsNkKhU

Watch it go on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=536506190304055

Centurion mk III 1:16 rc Modell

Existing 1/16: https://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Centurion MK III Tank.html

'I am busy with a 1/25 . . . '

I've got some pictures in my signature of one I was working on, if you're interested.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Sorry but I have to admit 1/16th Tanks do nothing for me , they just look too "toy" .  Same as RC tanks, which don't move like real tanks or have any mass, or worse RC tanks with airsoft guns wedged inside them.

They look just like what they are to me, oversized lumps of plastic , and like Mrs PW ,  I prefer my entertainment not to be requiring batteries :ph34r:

I've done the 1970's 1/25 Tamiaycademywhoeverthisweeks tanks........... Panther ,JadgP , Su 100 etc , again ok ish  , but it doesn't float my boat, although could have been a better scale than 2/AABattery if thats the way it had gonve in the 70's

Appreciate a lot of peeps on this forum like them, and that's fine- please have fun making them , but for me, less is more, just my opinion. 

On 12/4/2021 at 12:41 PM, dodgem37 said:

I've got some pictures in my signature of one I was working on, if you're interested.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark

I have seen the one you are working on. Have you completed it? I am doing a South African one from the last Cold War tank battles in Angola in 1988. The project stalled for a while while waiting for a Mouse House engine deck (never arrived). I have restarted the project with a printed engine deck.

Sorry for stealing the thread Panzerwomble

Cheers

Nick

1 hour ago, LSP_Mike said:

Nice work PW. I'm down to a 1/25th Tiger I and a Cent, both the original tamiya kits. Had most ohat scale series and let 'em go over the years. The AFV Centurion(s) are nice kits.

It's a shame in a way 1/25 never took off . They take up more real estate on the shelf , but do project much more "presence " . For me all the ones still being knocked out are now so old in tooling that they are just a bit too far gone now , bit like this old Cent III .

I've built  few motorized 1/25s as presents for non modelling folk , who seem to enjoy the rug runner aspect over a glass of wine . I'm sure they can be cheered up with some scratch building , but the lack of anything else, figures , accessories means it just a nostalgia or labour of love build . People seem to want silly prices for them as well these days . 100% agree AFV Cents are the way to go for that tank in 1/35 .