New Martin Baker Mk. H7 Seats From Sparkit

allthumbs

The MB Mk. H7 seat has been well served by aftermarket resin manufacturers over the years. I’ve lost count, but there have probably been around a dozen different releases, including from Verlinden, Black Box, Legend, True Details, Eduard, GT Resin, TAC Scale Dynamics, Paragon Designs, AMS Resin and Aires/Aerobonus/Quickboost

Here’s a look at the recently updated Quickboost seat (you get two in the package, each with distinctly posed belts and harnesses), set QB 32283. 

OhpCzhP.jpg

M0fJobe.jpg

baUPehP.jpg

These look very nice: plenty of detail, accurate, with good undercut features like belts and hoses. Whereas the Sparkit Models seat is USN/USMC specific, this one is a hybrid of sorts: basically a USAF seat with USN/USMC water activated Koch release fittings on the buckles.

The overhead pull handles are separately cast, along with the lower handle and it’s protective guard.

Edited by allthumbs

And here are some comparison photos.

HaFMHXO.jpg

iBf6dVH.jpg

Qxhyb7M.jpg

They compare well in many basic respects…both seats capture the distinctive look and proportions of the original. And both feature “busy” and complex detailing…again faithful to the real seat. 

There’s a noticeable difference in the size of the overhead pull handles though. Fortunately I had measurements taken from a nearby museum example.

S1Y6fPc.jpg

ACs1f0D.jpg

uGrN7SC.jpg

It turns out Sparkit is spot on in terms of hoop diameter and spacing. If anything, they are very slightly too thick and would benefit from additional droop. Quickboost’s are oversized by about 35 percent, which is enough to throw off the scale appearance - a scratch built replacement would improve matters considerably.

As mentioned before, Sparkit captured well the raised rivet effect across the metal seat pan and frame. For the most part, Quickboost represents this feature with recessed indentations that are faint and inconsistent in places.

And no appraisal of 3D printed parts is complete without mention of layer lines. Yes, they are visible across some of the flat faces of the Sparkit seatsBut they’re subtle, as these things go. Careful print orientation has limited the most visible traces to the lower aft seat pan, an area that won’t be seen once the seat is installed inside the cockpit. But I’m curious to see what they look like under a coat of primer. When I get to this stage, I’ll post the pictures.

Finally, the biggest difference is one that can only be fully appreciated with the naked eye. And that’s the see-through, truly 3 dimensional effect achieved by Sparkit’s printing technology, something not attainable with single piece resin casting, no matter how well executed.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

17 hours ago, John1 said:

Those QB seats look very well done.  The price (Hannants) is very reasonable.    

John, you’re absolutely right. The Quickboost seats are great (and could be made even better with some scratch built corrections and additions, as suggested above). At about half the cost, they represent a better value to many modelers, for sure.

But I’m blown away by these Sparkit seats and happy to sing their praises here, for all those interested.

In the end, it’s nice to have choices.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs