Ta-152H1 advise on painting please

Nigels modelling bench

5 hours ago, Nigels modelling bench said:

Ta152 Flaps are wooden??

Initially they were, yes but damage from water on the runway lead to them being replaced(Hitchcock, p. 155).  Furthermore, some of the Ta152 tails were made of wood.  There's no way to tell in the photographs unless the tail is close up and in bright light, then you may be able to tell.  There will be no panel lines in wooden tails excepting the triangular access panel on the left side of the vertical fin and the fillets at the horizontal tail.  Outside of the two that are known to have wooden tails, there's no way of determining which Ta152's had wooden tails or not (by serial number).  The VS9 prop is also wood (Hitchcock, p .195)

REFERENCE:

Hitchcock, Thomas H. 2010. The Focke-Wulf Ta152. Eagle Editions Ltd. Hamilton. MT

If you haven't already figured it out, you use the "Direct Link" in Imgur and insert it in the "insert image from URL" button in the lower R/H of the window...Like this:

1NgdVi5.jpg

This is my Ta152H-0 build and I gave it a wooden tail by simply filling in all the panel lines other than the ones I've mentioned above.  I also painted the interior of the tail a wood color.

Edited by Juggernut

58 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

If you haven't already figured it out, you use the "Direct Link" in Imgur and insert it in the "insert image from URL" button in the lower R/H of the window...Like this:

1NgdVi5.jpg

This is my Ta152H-0 build and I gave it a wooden tail by simply filling in all the panel lines other than the ones I've mentioned above.  I also painted the interior of the tail a wood color.

Thanks so much for your reply Juggernut. I actually found a thread here discussing this and Martin fb had a pic of the wing section showing metal flaps. I am staying with metal as mine are already NMF and are staying that way. My tail is also gonna have to stay metal as it has just had a nice coat of RLM76. I think I'm getting lazy in my old age??

edit: Why does your model have a yellow stripe running back through the red?

I tried all the links in imgur, then was told that if I remove the "img" from each end of the link it works??

Maybe I'll try again later with a pic of my casually sprayed leading edges.

Nige

Edited by Nigels modelling bench

Why does your model have a yellow stripe running back through the red?

That's the staffel identifier of III/JG301 (according to Hitchcock).  There are green bars, red bars, and a few other colors if memory serves.

I wanted to do wooden flaps but couldn't find any reference closer than the Fw190D-9 wooden flaps as a source, so I too left them metal (and closed them).

Don't pay too much attention to the colors on my Ta.  The RLM82 is correct but the RLM83 looks more like RLM81 to my eye even though the bottle said RLM82.

Edited by Juggernut

25 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Don't pay too much attention to the colors on my Ta.  The RLM82 is correct but the RLM83 looks more like RLM81 to my eye even though the bottle said RLM82.

Looks bloody lovely to me mate!! 

I am using Tamiya mixes for the RLM colours. I have a lifecolor set but it has no 83 and i hear it's a swine to paint?

I looked at getting the AK real Colors, but when it mentions versions 1,2 and 3 I thought.. "sod this, lifes too short"??

Nige

Oh boy…..  I hope you’ve made adjustments to the main gear legs.  If you haven’t, you may find it a little difficult to install them now.  I did the exact same as you and ended up popping the leading edge seam in front of the main gear legs.  It takes some force to get the gear legs installed afterwards.  I hope you have better luck than I did.

20 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Oh boy…..  I hope you’ve made adjustments to the main gear legs.  If you haven’t, you may find it a little difficult to install them now.  I did the exact same as you and ended up popping the leading edge seam in front of the main gear legs.  It takes some force to get the gear legs installed afterwards.  I hope you have better luck than I did.

OH Boll  ocks!! I have worked so hard to sort those horrible seams I'll not be popping anything off.. where there's a will, there's a way!!

6 hours ago, Nigels modelling bench said:

Thanks for all your help guys.. so difficult to try and make it look "not straight" as would be the case with a guy painting on his knees with a bad back.

rWgEi3R.jpg

I like the wavy style of the light blue, but looking at the pictures it goes completely behind the wheel wells. You made a nice job of assembling the complex wing parts, hope you can put the gear legs somehow without breaking anything!

Alain

5 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

I like the wavy style of the light blue, but looking at the pictures it goes completely behind the wheel wells. You made a nice job of assembling the complex wing parts, hope you can put the gear legs somehow without breaking anything!

Alain

Thanks. 

The guy who painted mine in real life started the job at 16:30 on a cold Friday afternoon. He heard his buddy's were going to th bar, so thought.. "oh well, its not as far back as usual, but I need a beer". AND, I wanted to show off as much NMF as possible lol.