1/16 Gallery Stug III G.....

Juggernut

Question:  Do these Stug kits require Zimmerit?  Don't know if they were produced after Sept. 1944 when the Germans stopped adding zimmerit to armored vehicles.  IF they do, I'd imagine that Atak or someone similar would release a resin set for it.  That waffle pattern would be hard to replicate I'd imagine.  I have no real knowledge about Stugs other than they're based on the Pz III chassis. 

15 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Question:  Do these Stug kits require Zimmerit?  Don't know if they were produced after Sept. 1944 when the Germans stopped adding zimmerit to armored vehicles.  IF they do, I'd imagine that Atak or someone similar would release a resin set for it.  That waffle pattern would be hard to replicate I'd imagine.  I have no real knowledge about Stugs other than they're based on the Pz III chassis. 

Yes, and no.  The later STUGs did not have zimm, but the earlier ones did.  AFV modeler does have the stamps for this and it may be easier to do than on the 1/35 vehicles.

Early STUGS had the Zimm removed later in the war (if they survived that long)

The kit as presented by DW could be seen with or without Zimmerit, usually waffle pattern. The version as boxed by Gallery would as likely than not have Zimmerit, again, usually waffle but you can also see them with the ridged Zimmerit. It's a mid version, the DW is early. If you were to add the later features like steel return rollers, saukopf mantlet, uncovered sprocket bolts,etc, then no Zimmerit would be appropriate, though again, not a hard and fast rule. Attak did a set for 1/16 stugs but thet apparently stopped using retailers and now only sell direct, but it's not available currently. I made myself a stamp that I will use with PC 11 epoxy paste. I have used this method a number of times and actually enjoy it, though this will be the first time using it for waffle Zimmerit.

4 hours ago, BiggTim said:

If you are interested, someone is building one over at LSM. Looks pretty awesome!

I hope nobody minds me linking it here...https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/13656-mono-chrome-116th-scale-stug-iii-aufs-g/

I'd be interested in knowing where he sourced the barrel and Jerry can from.

3 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Why not start a new dedicated thread?

Agreed, and I, for one, would love to see it. My own Das Werk kit is a few weeks off and I have no idea if I'll buy one of the others or not. Still, seeing both, side-by-side, would be most welcomed by me, and probably many others as well.

6 hours ago, bslturtle said:

Soooooo....

My Das Werk Stug arrived here today. 

I expect the MEC Stug to arrive in the next two days.

I want to do a side by side comparison of the kits.

Would this be the place for it, what do you think?

This would be an unboxing, but the two kits side by side.

A kit comparison would be great if you could do one. Cheers Bob.

Okay

UPS should be here with the MRC STUG today.

Sight unseen I intend to try and show similar trees side by side.

I supposs I should start a new thread too.  I will post the link here so you all know.

I have not done this before, S/B about a week I would guess, not too hard.

Cheers!