Sow's Ear - Updating, backdating, correcting and detailing the Trumpeter 1/32 Warthog

Talon

20 minutes ago, Mark P said:

One could argue that if there is any 1/32nd scale Trumpeter kit that needs aftermarket, this would be it...

Didn't Cutting Edge do some stuff for this kit?

Mark Proulx

Out of my memory an exterior detail set, a cockpit set, wheels and a double AIM-9 launcher pylon.

Such 3D printed pylons look wonderful. As the others I'm patiently collecting A-10 items for possibly twenty years. So,I'd be interested as well in such a release.

I love what is done on that kit... :clap2:

Actually, a lot of stuff has been done for the kit over the years.  CE did a cockpit (pre-LASTE), exterior detail/correction set, wheels, dual Sidewinder rail, and engine set.  Black Box did a LASTE cockpit.  Master did a gun barrel set, I believe.  Squadron (Falcon) did a canopy.  Sierra Hotel did an engine set and wheels.  GT resin did an engine set.  ResKit does the dual Sidewinder rail and wheels.  Quinta and Red Fox do the 3D instrument panel sets.  A bunch of companies (too many to list) make weapons to replace the poor stuff in the kit.  I’m sure that I’ve forgotten some, but there is/was a ton of stuff out there that you can buy for the kit.  About the only things not covered by aftermarket are the basic airframe (wings, fuselage, and tail).

Like Thierry, I’ve been collecting a ton of stuff over the years, and would like to see the pylons too, but at some point my wallet will say enough is enough for this old kit.:P  That point will be when someone does a proper A-10C conversion.

Good luck finding the CE stuff for any kind of reasonable price however. Ive got a CE IP from a random trade somehow, but with all the kit really needs to bring it up to par, Ive been staying away from the Trumpy A-10
Im hoping at some point we get a new tool 32nd A-10, or some airframe corrections from someone in the AM community. 

Don't forget Verlinden did update sets for the single and twin seaters. CE also did a GAU-8 resin barrel ends and shroud. I also have an AFV club canopy with reflective coating. Have glass??

I'm amazed no-one ever made a new nose for the kit?

Nige

Edited by Nigels modelling bench

"I'm amazed no-one ever made a new nose for the kit?"

If I remember correctly, I believe Paul Fischer was working on doing one before he suffered his fire.

The A-10's bomb racks are called MAU-40's and -50's. Station's #1, 2, 10 and, 11 have the MAU-50 which has 14" spacing between the lug hooks. Station's #3 thru 9 have the MAU-40 which has a 14" and 30" spacing between the lug hooks

Love the in flight pose for this one, she'll look really cool finished up like that.

Steve

5 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Brilliant work!  I love that dynamic look you've got planned. It'll look amazing for certain! 

Speaking from experience (w/ my 1/24 Hellcat build), I'd watch the moment arm with regards to the height of that rod and the size of the base. Lowering it just a few inches will go a long way to increasing stability. Would hate for such an epic build to be too top heavy and get damaged!

Thanks for sharing with us--looking forward to more, as this type of build is right up my alley!

-Peter

Moment is well tested. The base is HEAVY, the stand is offset to the rear and even with everything on the base doesn't budge. It would require a very hard shove for that to topple.

Love the A-10. My first experience was being on the receiving end of a mock A-10 attack in West Germany on exercise in 1981. Like many others I have been stock piling "bits" for the A-10 and would love the chance to get a set of pylons if they are ever made available.

Looking forward to your next update.

Love the display. Going to be perfect to show off the whole JAWS paint scheme! Your buddy can probably make some good money selling those 3D printed parts. As you’ve shown this kits either devoid of detail or it’s wrong. It looks like you’ve done a few additional fixes then many of the other builds i’ve seen. Going to be epic when done.

On 11/30/2021 at 7:10 AM, A-10LOADER said:

"I'm amazed no-one ever made a new nose for the kit?"

If I remember correctly, I believe Paul Fischer was working on doing one before he suffered his fire.

The A-10's bomb racks are called MAU-40's and -50's. Station's #1, 2, 10 and, 11 have the MAU-50 which has 14" spacing between the lug hooks. Station's #3 thru 9 have the MAU-40 which has a 14" and 30" spacing between the lug hooks

Love the in flight pose for this one, she'll look really cool finished up like that.

Steve

Thanks for the info on the outboard pylon MAUs. I have modified those 4 pylons accordingly to remove the 30" lug hooks and modified the pylons openings appropriately. Never noticed the smaller MAUs before

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Starfighter said:

I'm not into USAF stuff and I may have missed it, but may I ask why you are using an ESCAPAC seat? Was / isn't the A-10 fitted with an ACES II seat? Brilliant work so far, I sure will follow your build with big interest! 

I think he's building an early test bird hence the escepac... for some reason they all used excepac for test prototype birds odd that

Cheers

Fred

On 12/10/2021 at 1:16 AM, Starfighter said:

I'm not into USAF stuff and I may have missed it, but may I ask why you are using an ESCAPAC seat? Was / isn't the A-10 fitted with an ACES II seat? Brilliant work so far, I sure will follow your build with big interest! 

FSD jets (including the JAWS jet I am building) used the Escapac. ACES fitted later in production

jaws_260_02.jpg

Not an easy model to photograph due to the size. Port wing pylons now all fitted in place. Outer two pylons modified as they only use 14” spacing MAU-50 racks from @A-10LOADER's info - thanks Steve. Racks had 30” hook points carefully sawn off and gaps closed up with card.

Now in the process of adding some lead wire seals where the pylons meet the wings, as seen on the real jet.

Ejector racks dropped into pylons for photo. These will be added after painting everything.

Edited by Talon