Tamiya F-14D VF-11, Brown Splinter Temp Scheme

Marcel111

Boy have I been struggling with these Vallejo browns. The nozzle clogs almost immediately and I couldn't get a smooth surface. So I ended up getting far more wash residue staying on the paint than wanted, requiring touch-ups everywhere... so the Tomcat looks even more patchy than planned. Still a lot of touching up to do, but here is what it looks like now.

PRFkh6.jpg

LXXWY2.jpg
QqEiwl.jpg

And that's it for modelling for a while, off to Sardinia for two weeks :-)

Cheers,

Marcel

• 5 weeks later...

Flat coat is on, engines are on and I've sprayed some of the metallic areas. Still quite a few small corrections to be made also.

But now it's undercarriage time, which is the low-point in the process for me.

JQtw2v.jpg

xAW1lo.jpg

lk6kvs.jpg

vq5ETK.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Looking great Marcel!  I notice that you've created lifted paint around the gun opening and have really sandblasted the leading edges.  Do you have any more pics of the real deal to show this, since you are always one that tries to replicate the original?  I sort of see it in your first pic, but it's tough to see the front.

Cheers,

Chuck

19 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Looking great Marcel!  I notice that you've created lifted paint around the gun opening and have really sandblasted the leading edges.  Do you have any more pics of the real deal to show this, since you are always one that tries to replicate the original?  I sort of see it in your first pic, but it's tough to see the front.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck, have a look at these pic. The top pic shows the sandblasting effect. The below pic shows even more weathering than the top one imo.

9WDORL.jpg

0cLU34.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

• 3 months later...

Almost finished with this one. A friend is still printing some antennas for me and that will then be it. Here are some quick phone pics.

sNWdMv.jpg

Gv3UBM.jpg

Some super high mag pics of the cockpit

P4iqG1.jpg

DBnlCJ.jpg

v5T4FF.jpg

A friend of mine printed the canopy locks, other than that the frame is scratch-built

lDGlMj.jpg

And this is how I'll display here at the Belgian convention in two weeks time... well, hopefully with the missing antennas

oomDQA.jpg

Will be hangin' with the Scale Navy team, can't wait!

ZqvPbW.jpg

I'll take and post some better pics once everything is truly finished.

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

13 minutes ago, jeroen_R90S said:

I must admit I'm not really a fan of the scheme itself, but the model looks great!

What Belgian convention will you attend?

Jeroen

Thx Jeroen, that‘s the Belgian Scale Modellers Convention 

Looks great Marcel!  A few comments:

• You continue to make the best looking missiles and pods I've ever seen.  Nobody makes them better.
  • The canopy of this kit is the weakest link, because it's so thick and one piece.  Yours looks terrific, especially with those canopy hooks.
  • Great to see a well painted cockpit with a few decals, rather than pre-painted gauges that seem to be so popular these days.  I'll leave it at that :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chuck