Tamiya F-14D VF-11, Brown Splinter Temp Scheme

Marcel111

Here's where I am with my Tamiya Tomcat. I started this build by taking the raised panel line parts on a vacation in Tuscany last year, while others where reading books etc around the pool, I was scribing :-) I can highly recommend this approach, I would usually have trouble finding the patience to scribe this plane but really enjoyed it in this setting. Plus I has exceptional light.

I then made a lot more headway earlier in the year with this project when I had a bunch more time on my hands. Oh, before I get going, here's the subject:

F14D_163418.jpg

Rear fuselage, scribed:

uTS32c.jpg

Front, note vents, thanks Ben!

8K0qwf.jpg

DUq0Ui.jpg

I've already added the red and blue lights, made from red and blue acrylic sheet:

zrLTQy.jpg

GE engine conversion:

kxCjUl.jpg

My friend Kai put me onto this method of simulating the hex cap bolts around the engine shroud. Sawing the tiny aluminum rod into even tinier pieces took some patience. The "bolts" will only be inserted towards the end of the build.

xSuL5p.jpg

v4dMMe.jpg

X4j5st.jpg

And that's current state, still needs some scribing and finishing:

Df1fAI.jpg

Wings... I scribed into the flap line some more to get a crisper effect:

OOnMw8.jpg

Rivets on the slates:

7WOUMw.jpg

Lights have also been added:

vGIZ57.jpg

nrb536.jpg

There is a horrible sink mark running the entire length of the flaps on both wings, somewhat painful to get rid of. But at this point the wings are ready for the actual paint to go on:

r59kRo.jpg

A major shortcoming of the Tamiya kit is that the intakes don't feature proper trunking all the way back to the engine. Even though this aircraft is land-based and I could hence use intake covers, I didn't want to go there. Fortunately I had used the Zacto intakes on my Trumpeter F-14 and hence had the Trumpeter internals left over. I modified these and got them to fit pretty easily.

5nbQ2o.jpg

fKIQc9.jpg

Dr9rjm.jpg

That's all for now folks! Before I check out, I will say that I am enjoying this Tomcat build more than the Trumpeter Tomcat, by a lot. Even though the kit is ancient, I feel it's "honest" in that the shapes and outlines are generally correct and thought through, it's then up to the modeller to take it to modern standards. Plus the general shape, esp the forward fuselage, looks accurate.

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

On 11/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Looking good in very skilled hands Marcel!  Scribing a model airplane while sitting around a pool, while others are reading books?  I think you're crazier than I am, and that's pretty crazy!  :mental:

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck, you should try this approach, you'll dig it the most! Direct sunlight on the model which really helped... plus a beautiful view down below, so even though I was modelling I was outside in the beautiful countryside.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Looking good in very skilled hands Marcel!  Scribing a model airplane while sitting around a pool, while others are reading books?  I think you're crazier than I am, and that's pretty crazy!  :mental:

Cheers,

Chuck

I agree Chuck! I'd be busy looking at what was sitting around the pool if you know what I mean....:whistle:

Cheers....Ron

1 hour ago, A-10LOADER said:

That's incorrect. F-14D, 163418, delivered 5 October 1990, Block # 160 jet (new build), TARPS capable.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

You are right! Somehow always had it in the back of my mind that she was an R. Oh well now I have to scratch the windscreen compressed air blast exhaust again…

• 2 weeks later...