mozart

9 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

This is fascinating to follow, it's great to see someone going the extra mile to make this model a true replica of a lovely aeroplane.

Thanks Zac, for me ( and I’m not sure if this is a blessing or a curse!), the devil is in the detail. The ICM kit has looks pretty good so far but it will be interesting to see how the build goes, plus AM of course. 

1 hour ago, jeroen_R90S said:

I'm following the stitching closely, could be interesting for some Roden models, too. :)

I’m sure the stitches are too heavy without sanding lightly Jeroen, I’m away from home at the moment but will have a better look at redressing this tomorrow. Cost though is an issue…..I’ll need more than one sheet for the wings but each sheet is quite expensive ($17.95 per sheet though I don’t know if that’s Canadian or US dollars) plus postage from Canada. 

Edited by mozart

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Will sanding the stitching "lighten" them.. make them less heavy?

and yes the sheets are pricey but will it be better in the long run?

:popcorn:

The first one will determine the second one! If I decide that sanding really gives a satisfactory effect then I’ll order more sheets, but it has to look right otherwise it’s a waste of time and money. 

48 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Im taking notes here Max, as I want to get to my ICM copy at some point too, and want to know what needs to be done and what might be a red herring.

Well I can tell you now Brian that for me at least, the Archer stitching tapes have proved to be a red herring! As soon as I started to try sanding lightly, sections broke away so I took the whole lot off and have reverted to thin tape and rivetting wheel.

elBCGI.jpg

I was disappointed that the stitching transfers didn't work for me, I could have tried further techniques such as spraying a coat of primer then applying them onto that, or spraying the primer after applying but before sanding etc, but the work involved with applying and sanding allied to the uncertainty of whether they would stick firmly at critical times made me think of the simpler, more direct and considerably faster (and cheaper!) route.

Edited by mozart

33 minutes ago, Steve Eagle said:

I have used the Archer materials, and found that they work better after applying alight coat of Future with a brush and then spraying some primer over them. I have been able to gently sand with 600/1000 grit sandpaper over this. Just an FYI. 

Thanks for that Steve, that mixture wasn't on my agenda but it's good to know for "future" reference (pun intended!! :P).

Now, those circular inspection panels provided on both the Eduard and AIMS PE sheets.  I had a look at both yesterday and immediately thought they both looked too "heavy" when positioned on the wing, too obtrusive to my eye.  So I came up with an alternative.  Luckily I had taken a photo of part of the tailplane of the latest one being restored at Henstridge:

rr0Agc.jpg

so I dragged this onto the Silhouette screen, scaled it by measuring the ICM part then drew the circles:

iEdbQe.png

You can see that they measure just under 3mm o/d.  Cut out and put into position, with the Eduard and AIMS ones for comparison.  AIMS is good for size, Eduard far too large:

cJTXCI.jpg

They'll look ok under paint, kind of "there but not there".

23 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Looking good Max:clap2:

Sorry if I missed it but what material did you cut the circles from? Tamiya masking tape?

It’s the masking film Guy, Oramask 810. 

50 minutes ago, Pastor John said:

Doing a great job there Max, hope I can build mine one day - only got about 30 Ju 88s ahead of it lol

Thanks John, I’ve done the empennage control horns this afternoon, using your pe which worked very well!

Empennage pretty much done apart from a little touch up of yellow here and there.  From careful study of the photos I took of our Tiger Moths at Henstridge, the inspection panel circles are on the port side of the fin and the starboard side of the rudder, I'm sure others vary but this is what I'm going for.  I think I need to trim the stitching strips in places.  The control horns, which are not very clear in these pictures, are the AIMS ones, I'm very pleased with them.

dDdmRH.jpg

QjYFVO.jpg

huRNNI.jpg

lkz1Ev.jpg

Edited by mozart