mozart

Upper and lower top wing halves plus slats assembled, so I thought I'd have a quick look at the CMK fuel tank fit.  It's a lovely thing but quite tricky to clean up and, what I must admit I hadn't appreciated, a front section of the lower half of the fuel tank has to be cut away:

jpx0cT.jpg

And that area marked above "Remove with caution" is part of the casting block.  The difficulty is that it's moulded as part of the bar that runs along the aft edge of the wing, the leading edge slat control cable is routed along it.  Too heavy-handed with the knife and the whole thing would come away.

The fuel tank is a snug fit underneath:

1Zc1sA.jpg

but not on the top:

92aWde.jpg

Now, if you lift the wingtips that gap closes, but will that produce the right dihedral.....yes, the dihedral question again!  John Adams of Aeroclub fame reckons 5mm under the wingtips will produce the correct dihedral on the top wing.  But then I checked my reference pictures from the Henstridge Tiger Moths:

GI2yrc.jpg

oq74Ps.png

I think it's a little problem that I don't need to worry about for a wee while, time for it to sink into my subconscious and be thoroughly mulled over!

Edited by mozart

32 minutes ago, RLWP said:

For good mulling, add wine

Richard

Just about to have a beer Richard (Bath ales Gem)....will that do??

Wrapping things up for today; wings ready for stitching to be added, then a little work on the empennage:

p4vkrQ.jpg

The fin/rudder is ok-ish but needs separating, and the position of the control horns is too high:

M4UKw2.jpg

LsDaMn.jpg

I like the fact that ICM have included the stop for the tail skid, not seen that in a kit before:

3xP6Nh.jpg

LRCfA4.jpg

I scored along the line 'twixt elevators and horizontal tailplanes, eased the elevators downward slightly then ran a bead of liquid cement along the line to fix it in position.  Happy Christmas!!

Edited by mozart

Thank you all for your encouraging comments, they really do make a difference as you all know. I feel privileged to have a pretty intimate knowledge of this beautiful little aeroplane so I’m delighted to be able to share this in what I hope will be a satisfactory and satisfying build! Long way to go yet though, many a slip etc etc! :wacko: