mozart

A short while ago there was only one model available in 1/32 scale of a Tiger Moth, the venerable, rather basic and in many areas inaccurate Matchbox/Revell one.  Like many kits of its era it could nonetheless be worked on, with a fair degree of skill required, to produce a good looking model of this famous and iconic aircraft.  

Enter Silver Wings, the well known Polish company whose kits are made from resin and photo-etch.  The kits are always well researched, complex, faithful and intricate in the level of detail but require considerable experience and skill to put together, but it has to be said that resin is not everybody's choice of modelling medium.

The new kid on the block Tiger Moth kit-wise is produced by ICM, the Ukrainian company which has really made a name for itself in the variety of models in their catalogue and the apparent research that has gone into ease of construction., epitomised in this kit with the one-piece lower wing which attempts to address the Achilles-heel of the lower wing dihedral which didn't quite tick the box in the other Tiger Moth kits.

aFDzDR.jpg

I produced a thread fairly recently which compared various aspects of these three kits but finally I have got round to actually starting to model the ICM one, and I'm looking forward to it!  Since the ICM kit in particular came out there have been a few after-market additions, all are included here within this build, and I'm going to start by having a look at each to consider if I think they're worthwhile, if indeed they make much difference to the kit.

Edited by mozart

I've been thinking about it for quite a while Richard so I hope the actual matches the vision!

Engines.....love 'em or hate em?!  The kit engine of the famous Gipsy Major, is rather lacking in detail.  Compare the left and right sides with the Lukgraph 3D-printed one above in both pictures:

GqKMU7.jpg

ETJQtI.jpg

but if you're planning on doing anything like this:

eJkcUl.jpg

then the Lukgraph engine is a must:

elFeSK.jpg

LLSRrE.jpg

Edited by mozart

Wheels!  The ICM wheels are provided with the DH logo embossed on the hubcaps, which is probably fine if you're planning to do a pristine Club Tiger Moth, but in practice during the war years, from my research, wheel caps with half a dozen bolts to remove every time were quickly discarded.  The option to the modeller then is to try to find a pair from a Revell kit, or buy a new set from MH Design Scale Models Studio:

TNrKIC.jpg

As can be seen, they are also 3D printed and are very good indeed.  You have the full range of options - DH logo, or not, or wheel covers or not.  The picture posted above showing the engine of a Tiger Moth is also useful for wheel detail, but here's a little extra:

zRnRwA.jpg

The lettering on the tyre wall needs toning down it's true, but they look pretty accurate to my eyes.  Comparing with the ICM wheel:

IaeXLs.jpg

....it's perfectly fine but if you want that little extra the MH one is the one to go for.

And finally for Tiger Moth AM, photo-etch.  I'm aware of two sets, Eduard and AIMs - I bought both expecting a lot of duplication, but I was surprised that they really complement each other in several areas:

347qjM.jpg

The Eduard fret includes features such as engine panels, which always need thinning if you use the kit supplied ones, and door covers - the thinning requirement is even more true because the doors really are thin flimsy affairs.  You'll also see a surround for the front seat, with cut-outs for the throttle rods and trim rods to pass through, access panels for under the fuselage and fluted sides for the fuel tank, not to mention empennage control horns and pitot tubing as well as cockpit levers.

The AIMS sheet:

KYyUgO.jpg

includes seat belts, rigging wires, rudder control horns where they enter the fuselage and the shield, plus the "L" shaped bracket which helps secure the wings to the fuselage.  This latter part (k, l and m above) is missed out completely in the ICM model:

Bo1Nn2.jpg

on the real thing:

Oe801B.jpg

So, if you want to cover all bases, both PE frets are worth it I think.  I've tried to put together a table showing how they work together:

T9prIW.png

A slight amendment to the above: the slot control lever is duplicated incorrectly for the front and rear cockpit on the Eduard fret only, AIMS has it right, rear cockpit only (starboard side).

Best I get on with some model-making now! :coolio:

Edited by mozart

14 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Hi Max!

This is going to be a very fun and instructing build!

Alain

I sincerely hope so Alain.  Sadly my Silver Wings one is still in bits, held together by the rigging!  I keep meaning to take it out and start fixing it, perhaps this will be the incentive. :blink::hmmm:

22 minutes ago, Pastor John said:

Hi Max, great review and many thanks

You’re very welcome John. Your set edges it over the Eduard in some of the common areas, like the IP for instance, more accurate to my mind of “yer typical Tiger Moth” but I’ll be covering that in more detail later. 

Very much looking forward to this one Max!

Especially with one of my own ICM kits to build.

The ICM engine really isn't much to look at for sure...... although fortunately I'm  it really an open panels guy, so won't have to worry about that.

Those resin wheels look the bees knees, so will definitely have to pic a set of those up.