1/35 Live Resin helicopter aircrew figures-Wildcat 097 crew

Hawkwrench

After 2 months of no modeling due to the wife wanting a updated kitchen including new cabinets, a new layout and a new granite countertop, we are about 90% complete (waiting on the countertop to arrive), I finally was able to get a little bench time in.

Since my LR figures came in the mail, I decided to jump in and build the crew chief. 

A little background to the figure:

He will be sitting in the right cargo doorway of a HH-60L medevac hoisting up the patient. (Thanks Pete!)

With his left hand, he'll be guiding the cable and in his right hand he will be holding the rescue hoist control (pendant).

This is my 1st go with figures, so I hope to learn alot as I go from you guys.

Here is a pic of the real crew chief from the actual mission. He's the one in the background behind the flight medic.

received_910085019731003

And here is a pic of the actual rescue from the ground. Here you can see him in the doorway. 

Yes, he is on one knee, but the crew chief gave me permission to change the figure pose as he normally sits in the doorway while hoisting as it's the preferred way.

Screenshot_20210222-215624_Chrome

So here's what I've got after fighting with the padding behind the kneepads which is not glued on at the moment.

20211127_002518

I used the LR kneepads and LR Assault gloves that he uses when he flies.

Kneepads:

20211126_220806

Gloves:

20211127_005138

I filled in the gaps using epoxy putty and smoothed with a wet finger and/or wet cotton bud. Thanks for the tip eoyguy!

I'll get to the other kneepad tomorrow night.

Chow for now 

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

On 11/27/2021 at 2:02 AM, MARU5137 said:

Tim,

Good project.

Already looking Neat work.

:goodjob:  Super thread.

:clap2:

Thanks Maru!

Definitely not as neat as Pete's aircrew figures, but hey, I just jumped into the water.

Edited by Hawkwrench

Well, the epoxy putty strap idea didn't work for me, probably due to my ignorance of working with the putty.

Plan B"

I'll try wine foil for a strap this time. 

Does anyone know where I might find these style (or a close semblance) of these pad buckles. I've looked around and so far it's been a no-go.

20211128_152647

Thanks in advance for the help!

In the mean time, I managed to glue on all the rest of his pouches today.

20211128_153443

Chow for now!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

21 hours ago, andy evans said:

Hi Tim,

Not exactly the same but the best source I have found for "modern" buckles is the Black Dog set 35001. I used them on a dragon Delta operator here http://andysgreyarmy.blogspot.com/2019/05/delta-operator-somalia-part-1-detailing.html

Hope it helps

Andy

Did you use blue painter's tape for the straps on the figure?

EDIT: Reading further down, I found what you used. 

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

• 3 weeks later...