Hawker Hunter F6

DonH

16 hours ago, mozart said:

Agreed 100% about the flex on the rear fuselage and distortion, it needs an extra internal bulkhead a la vacform modelling. I found the undercarriage and wheel well covers very difficult and fiddly to do, even down to the underwing serial numbers being located on three different covers! 

I have a cunning plan for the serial numbers. The version I am doing doesn't have any. I am not looking forward to doing the wheel well covers, lots of very small parts in close proximity coming together in a random fashion. What could possibly go wrong? 

13 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Don 

At least the Top Half is not naked. 

Looks good !

:popcorn:

Hopefully when you paint the other half there is not a difference seen .

Happy New Year. 

:goodjob:

Happy New Year to you too!

Just back from the LHS and now the bottom half is covered and we have a Black Arrow! No differences that are noticeable but this is a primer coat anyway. I have noticed some blemishes that will need some attention, but the overall look is lovely. I have some Tamiya LP-1 for the gloss coat and that will be applied next weekend after I have tidied up the minor dings and scratches. There are a couple of sink marks where the cockpit bulkheads are. They were not noticeable before, so will need some attention. I guess that's why it's good to prime.

x8OPj18.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had the chance to throw some paint around at the weekend. From this....

x8OPj18.jpg

To this....

ACittnW.jpg

To say I am delighted is an understated understatement. The whole thing is (relatively) spotless and glossy. I used Tamiya LP-1 gloss black and I am amazed at how good it is. I think I thinned it about 60% levelling thinners to 40% paint, maybe a little thinner than that. It went on smooth as silk and has dried to a tough, glass, finish. I am also amazed at the dust repellant properties. It seems to set up a force field as the paint is drying that stops dust from landing on your model. Or maybe I dreamt that part.

The photo does not really do it justice, it looks more mirror like in real life. As with the X-18 paint, this has NOTHING to do with me or my abilities. I am an average (at best) air brusher and I never usually get this good a finish without help from the paint.

So, onwards. I will check for blemishes (and then ignore them) and mask up for the landing gear and tailpipe. I see decals in my near future.

This weekend, I have been adding the fiddly bits of paint. It's fiddly mainly because of the masking.

Dull bits...

BNi7dsH.jpg

B2Ds6Tk.jpg

Shiny bit...

Qb6jzuh.jpg

Dull but shiny bits...

oAUYcDL.jpg

6gHrnrB.jpg

Some very minor touching up required around the wheel well, which I call a result.

My next task is attaching all the dangly bits on the undercarriage. All those very small, fiddly, parts is making me tremble and sweat already!

Until next time...

• 2 weeks later...

Had an enjoyable afternoon putting on the stickers. My thanks to Kalashnikov-47 who sent the decals to me many moons ago. I added most of the stencils from the kit decals that were in red. The black ones are not going to be seen :)

rr7zHIf.jpg

9Tfkn0u.jpg

VNBsUjo.jpg

Almost done. I have just sourced a Union Flag decal for the port side nose. This is a detail that seems to be missed on the decal sheets I have seen for this aircraft even though it is clearly visible in every photo of the Black Arrows. After that, some final assembly (adding aerials) and then a gloss coat.

Hope you like.

Don

That black finish looks good enough for a bare metal finish...  Looks like the wing roundel hasn't quite settled into the panel lines though...?  Maybe more MicroSol or even run a scalpel along it followed by some decal solvent?

3 minutes ago, jenshb said:

That black finish looks good enough for a bare metal finish...  Looks like the wing roundel hasn't quite settled into the panel lines though...?  Maybe more MicroSol or even run a scalpel along it followed by some decal solvent?

Thanks! Tamiya LP-1 is the paint, lovely stuff. The wing roundel has settled in, the panel lines are so fine that sometimes it's hard to see. However, I will be going over all the decals with another shot of Microsol tomorrow just to ensure no silvering under the stencils and to get that final painted on look.