For those working in 1/16th scale, question.

trgt

What do you use for dial faces? I have a guillow's P 47 that I'm scratch building a cockpit for (once all my eye surgeries are completed) and thought of using the cardboard faces with some clear plastic that you get as packing material for the lenses. But I saw some hearty souls are scratching out A/C of the same size and figured one of yous guys might have a better idea.

Quite simple!

Look here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=p-47+instrument+panel&client=ms-android-oneplus-rvo3&prmd=isvxn&sxsrf=AOaemvKOt8fAZvS62oQbuoEbQdocMs4Aag:1637868054742&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwjrmN38nbT0AhUIsVYBHRPGBwAQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=384&bih=696&dpr=2.81

Select one good picture, save it, dimension it to the scale of your cockpit and print some examples on a good laser printer. Cut one and glue it on plastic sheet with thin CA, cut the perimeter and then add clear plastic over it. Cut it and secure the edges with a very little bit of CA. Then glue with white glue another printed one on thin plastic, drill all the bezels properly through the paper and when done cut the perimeter and remove the paper and glue remains with hot water. Add the drilled thin plastic panel over the thicker one. Presto, you have an IP! You still need to add the protruding bezel edges (optional), knobs, plates and rivets to finalize. This should be a perfect copy of the full scale one.

Hth. 

Thierry

37 minutes ago, Target said:

Simple he says. That laser printer you speak of, are all printers laser? I have a printer, not sure it's a laser. PC savvy I'm not.

No, not all printers are laser printers.  Inkjet printers use ink cartridges and shoot a stream of liquid ink onto the paper to print, while, I think, laser printers use a dry toner like a photocopy machine that is adhered electrostatically and fixed with some heat.  

You can use an inkjet printer. Print the image on glossy photo paper.

Working in 1/16th scale you have several options. If you can find a good photo of the entire IP, you can print out the whole thing then print another copy on regular paper and use it as a template to cut out a thin piece of plastic to shape with holes opened up for the instruments. Then with white glue, attach a thin sheet of acetate to the back of the plastic, then glue that onto the instrument print out. The larger size of the 1/16th scale makes this a lot easier than 1/32nd.

You can also do a similar construction with individual printed instruments.