Airfix' next large scale model?

Nigels modelling bench

2 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

The only problem with that chart is it doesn't actually reflect which of the 4 wings would be on which types, just the ones they were (mostly) built with.

For example, the Sabre Mk4 was built with the first wing on your list, but most aircraft were refitted with the 6-3 hard wing, some production even had the 6-3 wing fitted at the factory, albeit as a modification before delivery, not a direct production fit (so they had the slatted wing, got converted to the 6-3 hard wing, then were turned over to the RAF)

The last Sabre 4s were factory-built with the 6-3 wing.

Well, maybe we are getting something big and new! This is from their Facebook page this morning:

"It's almost time. With new introductions in all your favourite categories, our huge new offering is not one you'll want to miss.

Get ready for Airfix 2022! Details below

10th January 2022

16:00 (GMT)

uk.airfix.com

#Airfix #Airfix2022"

So, who knows? Maybe we will be in for a treat.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

10 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

And regardless of any of that, if Airfix did a 1/24 Sabre of any kind with any wing, I’d be shocked beyond words.  Just don’t see it happening.

Can you even begin to imagine the wailing, moaning, and gnashing of teeth if they were to do a 1/24 Sabre and not a Hunter?

Quite rightly so, although Airfix would still leave out a two seat T.7 option if they ever did a Hunter, the way Revell did with their 1/32 scale kit (Why Revell? And you allegedly  did the tooling for a twin. What's wrong with the Swiss Breitling, the Admiral's barge or the high-speed silver finishes with full squadron regalia?) 

I believe Airfix has the American market very much in mind, which is why the last subject was a Grumman ironworks aeroplane. A Sabre is probably in the top ten of future potential subjects. A 1/24 Hunter is too big for most domestic buyers and too European for the RoW. But as everyone likes the Spitfire a new one would definitely turn a profit, even though I'd personally prefer a Frightning. 

Whatever happened to the Kinetic/Italeri 1/32 Sabre anyway? Did it really die a death after just a paltry couple of boxings? The Kittyhawk Sabredog is a gonner and the 1972 vintage Hasegawa tooling is now quite literally an antique.  

Tony 

7 hours ago, Tony T said:

Quite rightly so, although Airfix would still leave out a two seat T.7 option if they ever did a Hunter, the way Revell did with their 1/32 scale kit (Why Revell? And you allegedly  did the tooling for a twin. What's wrong with the Swiss Breitling, the Admiral's barge or the high-speed silver finishes with full squadron regalia?) 

I believe Airfix has the American market very much in mind, which is why the last subject was a Grumman ironworks aeroplane. A Sabre is probably in the top ten of future potential subjects. A 1/24 Hunter is too big for most domestic buyers and too European for the RoW. But as everyone likes the Spitfire a new one would definitely turn a profit, even though I'd personally prefer a Frightning. 

Whatever happened to the Kinetic/Italeri 1/32 Sabre anyway? Did it really die a death after just a paltry couple of boxings? The Kittyhawk Sabredog is a gonner and the 1972 vintage Hasegawa tooling is now quite literally an antique.  

Tony 

Both have vanished unfortunately, i managed to grab a kinetic F slatted wings(i would prefer korean war one) and just found a  f-86d. Didnt hobby boss make a huge f-86 recently? 

Im really really hoping for a sea furry in 24th scale we dont have any in 32nd appart from the unoptabium  fisher and the hobby craft but that dosent have folding wings so its dead to me. This is the same reason i ended up with 2 typhoons, there are just no other options

In 24th scale i want to see planes with wing folds

Edited by Neo

8 hours ago, npb748r said:

they are bringing Flight Deck back !!!!  That would zoom me right back to the 70's, fighter pilot in a FAA phantom landing on the Ark. Sorry, too much Christmas booze and food has befuddled my brain.

Wow, that's a blast from the past. Memories of always seeming to just get it set up then getting chased off as my mum needed the table for something!

23 hours ago, Neo said:

Both have vanished unfortunately, i managed to grab a kinetic F slatted wings(i would prefer korean war one) and just found a  f-86d. Didnt hobby boss make a huge f-86 recently? 

Im really really hoping for a sea furry in 24th scale we dont have any in 32nd appart from the unoptabium  fisher and the hobby craft but that dosent have folding wings so its dead to me. This is the same reason i ended up with 2 typhoons, there are just no other options

In 24th scale i want to see planes with wing folds

I like to see Naval planes with wing folds in every double-digit scale. 

tony

On 1/4/2022 at 11:15 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

And regardless of any of that, if Airfix did a 1/24 Sabre of any kind with any wing, I’d be shocked beyond words.  Just don’t see it happening.

Can you even begin to imagine the wailing, moaning, and gnashing of teeth if they were to do a 1/24 Sabre and not a Hunter?

FWIW, there is a 1/18 kit out there.

2 hours ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

The 1\24 bomber Mosquito is well overdue for release.....but a Sea fury or a Griffon Spitfire would be all kinds of good things too. 

Blue Skies in '22!

Captain Boogaloo

I doubt we will see a 1:24 Mosquito again. I think most of  the first ones were binned than completed. I started mine and it is sitting on my SOD. I will complete it though. 

I can’t see why Airfix wouldn’t release a 1/24 Sabre, I never expected a Hellcat from them in 1/24, so a Sabre wouldn’t surprise me at all:)

I’d rather a Sea Fury, single seat Vampire, a Meteor or (be still my beating heart) a Lysander, and to be honest, I think the Sabre is a far better chance of coming out of the Airfix factory than any of those.

6 minutes ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I can’t see why Airfix wouldn’t release a 1/24 Sabre, I never expected a Hellcat from them in 1/24, so a Sabre wouldn’t surprise me at all:)

I’d rather a Sea Fury, single seat Vampire, a Meteor or (be still my beating heart) a Lysander, and to be honest, I think the Sabre is a far better chance of coming out of the Airfix factory than any of those.

Now you're talking... I hadn't considered a 1/24 Lysander... Imagine the cockpit with all those lovely tubes.. as long as Airfix do a better job with the seams than they did with Tiffy.

Nige

1 hour ago, Nigels modelling bench said:

Now you're talking... I hadn't considered a 1/24 Lysander... Imagine the cockpit with all those lovely tubes.. as long as Airfix do a better job with the seams than they did with Tiffy.

Nige

As long as they did a better job than Matchbox’s version I’d be over the moon!

Edited by Smokeyforgothispassword