ICM Gladiator Milestone.

Bradleygolding

So here it is, the first 1/32 model I have completed since about 1975 when I made a couple of Hasegawa inter war biplanes. It's not perfect, but I just wanted it out of the way to work on other projects, like the still uncompleted WnW Felixstowe. Although that will have to wait a little longer.

What did I think? Well generally it's a really good kit, great fit and reasonable detail. Only the seatbelts were added. I do have one or two niggles though. The plastic is very soft and weak allowing many small parts to break if even breathed on, I wondered if Revell's version would have Revell's plastic which is stronger? ICM show rigging spreaders between the wings, and a mast above the wing, but these are not part of the kit. I almost had to buy a biplane jig to put the top wing on it was so tricky. I still think it slopes forward too much, and the box unless shut up completely allows small parts to fall out and disappear! Apart from that all good.

Steve

51694126611_d41fea24bf_c.jpg

51693332987_f7626841e7_c.jpg

51694398678_f4912ca962_c.jpg

nice!

lots to like!

in terms of basic construction you have nailed the rigging - I know you haven't used turnbuckles and all that stuff but i still find the finish very convincing.

a couple of critique points if I may?

- the left machine gun looks as though it has taken a bash? is that fixable?

- there appears to be some decal silvering on the codes on the left side?

thanks for sharing

Nick

11 hours ago, nmayhew said:

nice!

lots to like!

in terms of basic construction you have nailed the rigging - I know you haven't used turnbuckles and all that stuff but i still find the finish very convincing.

a couple of critique points if I may?

- the left machine gun looks as though it has taken a bash? is that fixable?

- there appears to be some decal silvering on the codes on the left side?

thanks for sharing

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your comments.

I had never really thought Turnbuckles necessary, but having seen them on a number of models posted here I am beginning to consider the idea, although for the Felixstowe it would be an extra massive job. The rigging here is the elastic type from WnW which I find very frustrating to use. I am getting better with it and refining my technique, the Glad only took a day to do!

You are right about the port machine gun, it has had several knocks and losses, I even made a new piece from Evergreen and whilst gluing it on found the original on the floor in another tiny part search I was doing. The decal silvering is only noticeable since the matt coat went on so I guess I could paint it over. One last thing I could say is I used a mixture of Tamiya and Vallejo paints. Tamiya for brushing mainly, and Vallejo mainly fro spraying. Really getting used to these modern paints and unlike the tins of Humbrol of my youth, there is no colour variation when touching up the finish later!

Steve