A6M3 model 32 - better base kit for conversion?

seiran01

Glad to help. But I also found two errors and have reposted the problem paragraph below - errors/corrections in bold. And I have no idea why wing tank booster pump switches ended up underlined.

Ryan

Cockpit

Use the cockpit floor Part E39 (or shorten the front of Q45 from the A6M2) and cockpit walls E21 and N5. However, Tamiya muddled the A6M2 fittings on the A6M2 kit. Part Q14 is a morse code key that was not always put in use. Either install it as is indicated or leave the mounting platform empty, file off the raised square on the top of the platform, and drill a lightening hole in the centre of the platform. Part E30 is actually the controller for the Type 3 Model 1 Transceiver which was only introduced with the A6M5. Fortunately, Part E29, the RDF controller, is included in the A6M2 kit and should be put into the location indicated for E30. The radio components Q47 and Q28 are correct for the A6M3.

3 hours ago, A6M said:

"If the A6M5 cowling is used the cowl gun ports do not need to be changed, . .  ."

With all due respect, every reference source I have (and one posted above) say that the gun ports are different.  Not a huge difference, but different nonetheless.

Hello Gentlemen,

Kenji Miyazaki’s recent book Reisen no mekanizumu (Mechanism of Zero-sen) indicates that both the A6M3 and A6M5 cowlings measured out at the same length of 1030 mm (pp. 14, 21). The image below shows both an A6M3 and an A6M5 cowling with three reference points in alignment. If the gun ports were different in their placement one would expect these points would not all line up.

This second image allows the A6M3 and A6M5 gun ports to be compared in more detail. A comparison of both length and width would not show them to be the same in these respects unless again they were identical.

I suspect the perception that the gun ports were not identical stems from the differences in the front of the A6M3 and A6M5 cowlings due to the respective configuration of the upper air intake.

Ryan

I really hope against hope that Tamiya will see fit to tool up some of the specifics of the A6M3 (any of the three variants), and give us a new kit.  Like all the other wishes for derivative 1/32 aircraft from Tamiya (i.e., F-16D), Tamiya hasn't bitten but where there's hope....

Having said that though, it would most likely render seiran01's attempts to make a conversion either moot or with a different starting point (depending on the A6M3 variant produced).

Edited by Juggernut

4 hours ago, A6M said:

Hello Gentlemen,

Kenji Miyazaki’s recent book Reisen no mekanizumu (Mechanism of Zero-sen) indicates that both the A6M3 and A6M5 cowlings measured out at the same length of 1030 mm (pp. 14, 21). The image below shows both an A6M3 and an A6M5 cowling with three reference points in alignment. If the gun ports were different in their placement one would expect these points would not all line up.

This second image allows the A6M3 and A6M5 gun ports to be compared in more detail. A comparison of both length and width would not show them to be the same in these respects unless again they were identical.

I suspect the perception that the gun ports were not identical stems from the differences in the front of the A6M3 and A6M5 cowlings due to the respective configuration of the upper air intake.

Ryan

Ryan,

Excellent photos!  I'm now a believer!

BTW where can one purchase Kenji Miyazaki’s book?  I need to add it to my stash.

Hello amurray,

I'm glad I could convince you. I was lucky enough that Kenji-san sent me a complimentary copy. But the book is listed on Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4769816685/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=247&creative=1211&creativeASIN=4769816685&linkCode=as2&tag=kamimokeicom-22  

If this doesn't work for you the, I hope  information on the Amazon page should at least be a start in tracking down a copy. As well the ISBN number is:

ISBN978-4-7698-1668-3 C0095

Ryan

9 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I really hope against hope that Tamiya will see fit to tool up some of the specifics of the A6M3 (any of the three variants), and give us a new kit.  Like all the other wishes for derivative 1/32 aircraft from Tamiya (i.e., F-16D), Tamiya hasn't bitten but where there's hope....

Having said that though, it would most likely render seiran01's attempts to make a conversion either moot or with a different starting point (depending on the A6M3 variant produced).

three variants of the A6M3? What am I missing after the models 32 and 22?