F11F vacuform Blue Angels

daveculp

Great work so far! I have had problems with warping on my 32nd scale F11F wings as well; mine have separated flaps and slats, to the trainling edge thickness was not the main problem. 0,3mm is the absolute minimum I use for trainling edges, 0,5mm is better. You can always sand them thinner once you have assembled them. You could consider adding holes to insert metal profiles, but the problem remains - those wings are just super thin... 

While the putty on the wings was drying I designed and printed a new aft fuselage piece.  This part gives the aft fuselage shroud a sharp edge and also includes some interior detail.

tail-shroud.jpg

Getting that dorsal drain fairing to blend in is going to take quite a bit of sculpting, but in the end it'll look nice.  Before gluing the part on I want to get most of the sculpting done, and I also want to cut out the slots for the tail hook and tail skid.

-- Dave

3 hours ago, Lee White said:

FWIW,the Blue Angels blue is a different shade than what the Bugs wear. The Cradle of Aviation has one right over the entrance, you can see it is different.

I plan on using MCW MIL-2144,  Blue Angels Flight Blue gloss lacquer.  It looks good in the bottle but I haven't sprayed it yet.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:36 PM, daveculp said:

I plan on using MCW MIL-2144,  Blue Angels Flight Blue gloss lacquer.  It looks good in the bottle but I haven't sprayed it yet.

I used MCW Thunderbirds Blue and it was dead nuts on the color so you’ve got a good shot of it being correct right out of the bottle.

21 hours ago, stuey57 said:

Hi Dave,

You probably haven't got this far but a good alternative to the F11-F's spoked main wheels are CMK'S 1/48 A26 invader LATE wheel set and maybe the 1/32 F4 Phantom nosewheels might suffice.

Looks like 1/32 F-104 solid main wheels would work pretty well, too.  The fuselages of both airplanes and main gear wells are bout the same size, so…..

On 12/21/2021 at 6:05 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Looks like 1/32 F-104 solid main wheels would work pretty well, too.  The fuselages of both airplanes and main gear wells are bout the same size, so…..

I'll be printing up a new set of landing gear.  It;s gotten to be pretty routine now, so I can design it quickly.

I've been working on the wings and rear fuselage a lot.  Here's a photo of the rear fuselage which is getting near to completion.  I removed a lot of the fairing under the rudder to match what I've seen in photos.  This meant I had to print a new rudder that is longer.  The photo is taken through my magnifier so it's dusty and distorted - it makes the tail look huge.

new-rudder.jpg

Once the rear end is done Ill mark the location for the horizontal stab holes.  I want that done before I put the wings on.

Edited by daveculp
typo

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I’m sure you’ve already thought of this but in case you haven’t, do not forget to plan for the rather noticeable smoke oil tube that runs along the left side of the fuselage back to the exhaust.

Yep, that'll be the cherry on top :)

14 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Excellent build, Dave ... :thumbsup:

When I was about 10, I sat in the Blues #2 F-11F at the old Cars of Stars/Planes of Fame Museum in Buena Park, CA ... I believe its now at the Pima museum ...

-Gregg

Funny, I was just thinking about what number I want to put on it.  I was thinking #1 looks too easy, #2 looks about right.  

-- Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Newest printed parts are the burner can + nozzle, and the turbine + fuel rings.  The rings are pretty delicate and came out slightly out-of-round, so I had to carve and sand them into shape.  This engine is unusual in that there are 5 radial supports for the rings

afterburner.jpg