F11F vacuform Blue Angels

daveculp

Tailpipe painted, assembled and shown here test fitted.  I like this arrangement because the part can be installed later after everything else is painted.

nozzle.jpg

This is a good time to talk about CAD.  The parts look pretty complicated but a lot of it is just mirror/copy/paste work.  I make my meshes using AC3D, and I'm probably one of very few people doing this.  Most people use a parametric type of CAD, like Fusion360 or FreeCAD.  AC3D is more of a low-level type of CAD, and I often do things at the triangle level (a mesh is just a web of triangles).  AC3D has some basic shapes available like cylinder, box, rectangle, etc.

In the nozzle I only made one "feather" and then used mirroring, copying, pasting and rotating to make the rest.  This leads me to one of the benefits I've found with using Chitubox, the slicer app that comes with the Elegoo resin printer.  Most slicer apps are strict about your mesh being one contiguous mesh and will refuse to slice a mesh that is "not a mesh".  I've discovered that Chitubox is not restrictive that way.  If you you simply overlap parts that are meshes the slicer is smart enough to figure out what the result should be.  For example this part:

sample-part.jpg

which is a cylinder stuck into a cube, is not a valid mesh, but Chitubox has no problem slicing this.  For resin printing it only has to figure out what is inside (gets resin) and what is outside (doesn't get resin).  Special bonus - if I invert the normals in the cylinder Chitubox will know I want a hole.  From what I've seen slicing parts for my FDM printer the above "mesh" won't print.  I don't know if this is because the slicer (Cura) isn't flexible enough, or if there is something about calculating a tool path that requires a contiguous mesh.

So for the nozzle all those feathers are just crammed together (overlap) and do not form a valid mesh.  I use this a lot in my design work, and it saves me hours of time.

-- Dave

11 minutes ago, Dandiego said:

Dave, can you print clear canopy parts with your printer?

I am looking into a Elegoo Mars 3 printer and if it can print clear parts so much the better. 

Dan

I've not had success with clear parts.  All of them started yellowing immediately, even without the final curing step.  With that said, I've heard that some people have been able to do it, and their magical process involves a lot of post-processing steps.  I don't know the magic.

-- Dave

13 hours ago, daveculp said:

I've not had success with clear parts.  All of them started yellowing immediately, even without the final curing step.  With that said, I've heard that some people have been able to do it, and their magical process involves a lot of post-processing steps.  I don't know the magic.

-- Dave

I never tried it, but I read or was told by someone that there is a clear spray of some sort that you apply to to printed cleat parts to keep them from yellowing ???? I remember seeing an add for a KRYLON anti yellowing spray ? 

Pat

3 hours ago, patricksparks said:

I never tried it, but I read or was told by someone that there is a clear spray of some sort that you apply to to printed cleat parts to keep them from yellowing ???? I remember seeing an add for a KRYLON anti yellowing spray ? 

Pat

I tried the Krylon UV-resistant spray trick and it sort of worked.  Here's a small clear part I printed for my OV-10A project's laser designator:

laser.jpg

It's still slightly yellowed, but being such a small part it's hard to see.  I haven't tried this technique on a larger part like a canopy.  Maybe I should run some test prints and see what I can do.  

• 1 month later...

Wings attached using a brass semi-spar.  Seems strong enough.  Next step is printing up some wing fences and flap hinges.

Weight is at 202 grams (without cockpit, canopy, landing gear, exhaust).

wings-attached.jpg

Edited by daveculp
posted to wrong thread

Wing fences, flap hinges and fuel drain are printed.  I thought I'd show some photos of the wing fence post-printing process.  The fences are very thin, so I cured them with some of the support structure still attached, and they were placed in the curing box such that they'd cure evenly.  ( My usual procedure is to remove all supports from a part and then cure it one side, then flip it over to cure the other side.  For most parts this works fine. )

After curing I snipped off the rest of the support structure and sanded off the remaining nubs.  The test fit looks good.

fence-cure.jpg

fence-trim.jpg 

fence-test.jpg

I could have scratch built the fences, but I wanted them tapered (thinner at the top) which would be a lot harder to do with such a small and delicate part.

• 7 months later...

Moving the F-11F project back to the front burner.  I've got the masks cut for the yellow markings, but before I apply them I need to do some repair work on the right wing.  I have this bad habit of moving the airbrush from side to side quickly, and sometimes I'll shake some paint out of the cup.  This lacquer thinner eats into the paint and primer - all the way down to the resin.  Here I'm re-primering the wing and filling up the depressions caused by the thinner.  When it comes to painting I'm such a noob.

repair-wing.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Dandiego said:

Hey Dave, I have been going over your build and realized that you have closed up the fuselage but have no cockpit yet.

Did I miss something? Or do you have a plan?

Dan

I have a roughed-in scratched cockpit so far.  I'll probably go with decals for the panels, and 3D printed seat and stick.

F11F-cockpit.jpg