Z-M Bf109G-14 “Old Man Blog”

Dave Williams

5 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I seem to recall (probably incorrectly) that the 109G-10 was the fastest of all the production 109's...but again, that's from my failing memory from reading about these late 109's a LONG time ago so take it with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, fastterry said:

I think the Erla built G-10 was recognised as the fastest, better refined cowl, wider shallower oil cooler and no under cowl bumps.

TRF

According to factory data, the G-10 was the fastest of the G-series with a top speed of 690 km/h. However, again according to factory data, the K-4 was slightly faster with a top speed of 710 km/h, which would make it the fastest production version of the Bf 109. The whole idea behind the G-10 was to create an aircraft with performance very close to the K-4, without having to disrupt existing production lines for retooling for a new variant. 

On 1/25/2022 at 2:48 AM, pvanroy said:

- FuG 16 ZY, with antenna under the left wing (fitted to some G-6, but antenna sometimes mounted under fuselage)

-FuG 25a, with ring antenna on back (early G-6 didn't have this equipment, but it was standard on mid and late production machines)

You've got the two radios backwards. 
The FuG 25 was the onboard IFF system that worked together with a ground based radar, Freya or Würzburg. The ground station sent a signal towards the radar contact and the FuG 25 responded with a pre-programmed code to identify the plane as friendly. It used a stubby antenna on the right lower side of the fuselage in Rumpfteil 3 (compartment 3).

The so-called Morane-Mast was used with the FuG 16 ZY for the Y-Verfahren and was part of the range finding equipment. This radio also made use of the DF ring antenna on the fuselage spine. It was then connected to the AFN 2 guage (Anzeigegerät Funknavigation 2) on the right upper side of the instrument panel in the cockpit that showed the pilot the way towards or from a radio beacon. 

By the way, we seem to share the same obsession :D

All the best

Andy

Edited by daHeld

9 hours ago, daHeld said:

You've got the two radios backwards. 
The FuG 25 was the onboard IFF system that worked together with a ground based radar, Freya or Würzburg. The ground station sent a signal towards the radar contact and the FuG 25 responded with a pre-programmed code to identify the plane as friendly. It used a stubby antenna on the right lower side of the fuselage in Rumpfteil 3 (compartment 3).

The so-called Morane-Mast was used with the FuG 16 ZY for the Y-Verfahren and was part of the range finding equipment. This radio also made use of the DF ring antenna on the fuselage spine. It was then connected to the AFN 2 guage (Anzeigegerät Funknavigation 2) on the right upper side of the instrument panel in the cockpit that showed the pilot the way towards or from a radio beacon. 

By the way, we seem to share the same obsession :D

All the best

Andy

You're of course absolutely right! I don't know why, but I keep mixing this up - for some reason I keep thinking the D/F loop is part of the FuG 25 system, while of course indeed it's part of the FuG 16 ZY as you pointed out. Thanks for correcting me, and apologies for the misinformation!

• 2 weeks later...