Z-M Bf109G-14 “Old Man Blog”

Dave Williams

4 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Having built this a/c with the tall tail and feeling silly about that now, I have looked back and tried to find evidence of the short tail and could never find any. Has anyone found anything? 

The Bf 109 G-14 flown by Hartmann in January 1945 in Hungary is relatively well documented. Here are some photos: 

Here is the aircraft in flight. 

qoFMnOuKtdkqZDjXZqGza3UFrKc8pCNOM5j-dasu

Here is the same image enlarged. Note the short tail. 

hR7D4I0VwIAeYSKnVfQtRuvKyJEZ1pFOZ1ajjeP-

And here is a photo from the internet. Note the battery box behind the headrest and the C3 fuel triangle, indicating a G-14. 

aXQoOEWuK-2nlZfJMlPdch8IoQ09DEE9AxXb5gwk

HTH 

Radu 

27 minutes ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Is this the same aircraft that is sometimes depicted in a winter-white scheme? I built that one in 1/72 long ago from the Academy kit. I've built quite a few models  so far, but only one 109!

And what does /U4 mean?

109 n00b,

Jeroen

The G-14 with the winter camouflage scheme is a different one, the "tulip" on the nose is different and it also has the taller "late" tail. 

The U4 indicates that it was fitted with the MK 108 cannon firing through the engine. What Vincent is referring to is that the features associated with the MK 108 cannon were never depicted correctly in any kit so far (in as far as I know...). The ZM kit has the correct U4 features. :)

Radu 

Guest Vincent
6 hours ago, Radub said:

The G-14 with the winter camouflage scheme is a different one, the "tulip" on the nose is different and it also has the taller "late" tail. 

The U4 indicates that it was fitted with the MK 108 cannon firing through the engine. What Vincent is referring to is that the features associated with the MK 108 cannon were never depicted correctly in any kit so far (in as far as I know...). The ZM kit has the correct U4 features. :)

Radu 

The U4 implied a few differences in the cockpit :

1) the ammo box above the canon with its top loading hatch

2) different rudder pedal support and linkages

3) different layout of the various boxes on the floor at the right of the pilot

4) different control stick (but it's pretty hard to tell at these scales)

5) different electrical layout of the items on the electrical frame in front of the circuit breakers

Then the G14 implied the following differences in the cockpit:

1) a mw50 boost gauge with piping on a dedicated bracket on the left side of the cockpit

2) a travel actuated electrical switch on the throttle box linkage

3) a lamp on the instrument panel but frequently omitted on the documentation

So providing an accurate G10/U4 cockpit is a bit tricky as you'll need a different floor and different sidewalls but by no mean impossible

11 hours ago, Radub said:

The Bf 109 G-14 flown by Hartmann in January 1945 in Hungary is relatively well documented. Here are some photos: 

Here is the aircraft in flight. 

qoFMnOuKtdkqZDjXZqGza3UFrKc8pCNOM5j-dasu

Here is the same image enlarged. Note the short tail. 

hR7D4I0VwIAeYSKnVfQtRuvKyJEZ1pFOZ1ajjeP-

And here is a photo from the internet. Note the battery box behind the headrest and the C3 fuel triangle, indicating a G-14. 

aXQoOEWuK-2nlZfJMlPdch8IoQ09DEE9AxXb5gwk

HTH 

Radu 

Never saw the one flying but had seen the ones on the ground many years ago. Compelling evidence indeed. Thanks Radu!

10 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Never saw the one flying but had seen the ones on the ground many years ago. Compelling evidence indeed. Thanks Radu!

That p.182 scan comes from Bernd Barbas' "Die Geschichte der II. Gruppe des JG 52" where you can also find the in-flight shot and three further photos from the 'ground' session. Two of the latter are available online here:
https://me109.info/display.php?a=e&fid=7768
https://me109.info/display.php?a=e&fid=18850

On 1/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, Kongo said:

Interesting comparison,but it is probably too early for the courts.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/bf-109g-comparison-t528722.html

This means absolutely nothing and it is uterly stupid to compare kits shapes based on two pictures.

Both kits are different scale and so are the photo parameters ? (focal, depth of field, distance to the object, etc)

On top of that the angle is not exactly the same for both picture.

By the way, I love the answer from Radu on this comparison... :D

3 hours ago, Radub said:

It was one source of information. That particular Bf 109 is beautifully preseved. 

Radu 

I remember some doco where I think they stripped the crank from Black 6 and sent it to RR for a re-grind/check...whatever was necessary.  Apparently it was as perfect as it could be made still. Even RR said they'd struggle to make a crankshaft so accurately even with modern kit. 

A good doco on Black 6...I think before it was crashed.

A link on when Aussies found Black 6 at Gambut.  I gather they ended up with a fair few Italian planes as well.

Matty

I placed an order for one yesterday, both because I like Z-M kits and because I haven't built a 109 in years.  Really looking forward to getting this.  Please keep posting pictures and paint schemes, please :lol:.

Cheers,

Michael