Z-M Bf109G-14 “Old Man Blog”

Dave Williams

John, the pre order.

The Germans list around 69 pilots at 150 + kills.

WWII math yields incredible numbers. I was at Gettysburg when I learned 2 regiments of Texas infantry were at Little Round Top. First thing I thought: what an astonishing long way to walk. But: the French and Germans both toured Russia. Pretty long walk there too.

Ok, back to our regular scheduled program.... I hope ZM does an Emil also.

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

The Germans were a bit like a good College team taking on Alabama.  If everything went perfectly they could have won, they came out with a lot of enthusiasm in the first quarter and had the lead but lost the game 45 to 10.  The 109 was a symptom of that, good plane but not enough.  Above all not enough Germans for the tactical considerations of the 1940s and the Technology that was realistically available.  Everyone says the Germans could have done this or that, or if they had this weapon or that one.  But the allies could have come up with answers to everything the Germans could come up with too.  

Another thing, totally unrelated to the issue of technology, was the German philosophy of how to use fighter pilots.  They put guys into fighters, and if they weren't good, they died.  Sure, they had a handful of Hartmanns, etc.  Massive kill counts.  But massive because, all Germany saw in them was a talented fighter pilot.  They stayed in the cockpit until the war was over or they died.

The US and other allies took our best and brightest pilots and had them help train even more pilots in what works, what gets you killed, etc.  Top gun etc are a direct result of this philosophy.     

EDIT, of course the US in particular had massive resources of potential new pilots, snipers, tank commanders, etc, but still, the decision on one hand to use up talented people until they are dead versus picking the best and having them train replacements is a big one.  

Edited by Citadelgrad

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It also stayed in service longest because the RLM and the German command structure in general were such screwed up organizations.  Lots of promising designs never saw the light of day because of political in-fighting, favoritism, and the fact that starting in 1943, Germany was losing the war and simply couldn't keep up with Allied advances.  The fact that there was so much dependence on slave labor proves that point.  Had the Luftwaffe had its way, and had sanity and common sense prevailed, the Bf109 would have been superseded by far superior designs after 1942-43.

Yet the Germans managed to come up new aircraft and improve existing ones, including the Bf 109. However, I have no interest in German politics. I am only interested in the technical and design aspects of aircraft (irrespective of their nationality). 
Radu 

IF I had to choose one version of the Bf109 (I do like them but not enough to want to build every version ever made), I would choose the F.  BUT!  in the spirit of the discussion and the fact that a very decent Bf109F already exists, my second choice would be the Bf109G-10.  That's the version that, for me, invokes the pinnacle of 109 design and performance.  Besides, I love those giant tires and long tail wheel strut.