Hobbyboss 1/18 Fw190

airscale

Gents,

I am conflicted..

Look at this...

Notice the fine bezel work and the realistic neat fit of the IP into the coaming.... this is how the kit provides for the cockpit - as built... I have not ballsed this up...

2aEKDH.jpg

I was asked when I started doing a Fw190 V18 and made my own PE for it if I would make a set to sort this horror show out, and was asked again at Telford - I can see why now

..I got as far as a PE printed mockup...

qSMrJp.jpg

..and this is where I am conflicted...

..to make the lower panel fit, about six scale inches needs to be chopped off the bottom and the fixtures like oxygen dials compressed, the side consoles which would also need PE covers are the wrong shape & too narrow so the conflict is twofold..

one, I don't like the idea of putting out stuff that is not true scale (I want to but it would need a whole new cockpit), two I don't know how the rest of the kit holds up in terms of accuracy - I mean it looks like a 190 but is this a semi silk purse on a sow?...

not sure where to take it, it's like walking past a house fire - I feel compelled to do something, but why put myself at risk...

anyone got this kit and give a $hit?

Peter

I have this kit, and was one asking for the new IP when you started the Kangeru. I would go scale and let us figure out how to fit. The exterior of the kit is pretty good - save for some of the shape errors you found in the V18 build - but the interior detail is way below the standard of the exterior detail provided. It will be impressive with re-worked cockpit and wheelwells.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

It's a tough one eh.. you can do like Eduard do and make the custom part fit the kit, like for instance the 1/32 HK IP with its round top, or make a "correction" set whereby the modeller will need to do some work to make it fit.

I agree with RLWP above, also make a new coaming so you can shift the panel up into its correct position?

BTW, I came to speak to you about 5 times at Telford, each time you were deep in conversation with someone else.

Nige

On 12/1/2021 at 2:25 PM, Nigels modelling bench said:

Hi Peter,

It's a tough one eh.. you can do like Eduard do and make the custom part fit the kit, like for instance the 1/32 HK IP with its round top, or make a "correction" set whereby the modeller will need to do some work to make it fit.

I agree with RLWP above, also make a new coaming so you can shift the panel up into its correct position?

BTW, I came to speak to you about 5 times at Telford, each time you were deep in conversation with someone else.

Nige

aww thats a shame Nige, would have been wonderful to have caught up :)

I have made up a test shot for the kit - it's not the coaming thats at fault (I mean it's biblically thick, but it's not wrong), it's the internal parts that are a complete mess

the test shot should be here in a week or so, so when it is I will test assemble it & put it here

i have a bunch of new stuff in development - more news when they are ready :)

Peter

On 12/5/2021 at 2:04 PM, airscale said:

aww thats a shame Nige, would have been wonderful to have caught up :)

i have a bunch of new stuff in development - more news when they are ready :)

Peter

Twas a shame to have missed you Peter, but I had to get back for the dog..

On the subject of new toys, you know where to send them if you want video reviews ;) ;)

I have a Border Models Lancaster on the way, I shall check to see if your HKM panel fits that kit

Nige

4 hours ago, patricksparks said:

Great looking set Peter, makes me consider building the kit. Have you ever considered to produce a set of photo etched seat belt buckles in this scale ? 

Pat

Interesting question :)

I already have the artwork for them for the 1/18 Fw190 V18 I started, but they simply didn't fit on the etch sheet for the kit and stay within our existing packaging

one to think about though :)

Peter