1/72 DHC Dash 8-300

chrish

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I have a 1:144 Dash-8 400 kit from Eastern Express in my stash somewhere.  Been planning to someday build it as a Porter Airlines bird.

Get at it, I’ll hold up here and wait for you to catch up. Would be nice in 1/72 eh?

if you recommend I may pick one up as well

4 hours ago, chrish said:

Get at it, I’ll hold up here and wait for you to catch up. Would be nice in 1/72 eh?

if you recommend I may pick one up as well

Wish I could - I’m on hold on all modeling stuff for the next few months while I do some remodeling on my new house and then move in.  I will be living vicariously through LSP until this work is done!

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Wish I could - I’m on hold on all modeling stuff for the next few months while I do some remodeling on my new house and then move in.  I will be living vicariously through LSP until this work is done!

Very similar to my own situation, Alex! Can't wait to be able to hit the bench again some time early next year.

Kev

So, I've got a "representation" of panels etc. on the nacelles, still a bit to do but I'm happier with the look;

rFTapJi.jpg?1

Qh4qKho.jpg?1

not really happy with the slabs that the gear legs glue to, I've imagineered a deeper gear bay, here's a gear leg dry fitted in place;

roiNaJ0.jpg?1

and making new deeper bays, the one on the right is in progress;

eURYJWG.jpg?1

and both done, I've left a shelf and the mounting hole to keep the gear in the right place;

DLPmtNk.jpg

As was mentioned to me earlier there was a design change in the gear legs, I've found some pictures that actually point arrows at the changes, so...here's that work in progress again, the right side one is under "improvement" and the left a kit piece;

VACrji4.jpg?1

difficult to see in the light colored plastic under harsh lights but...you get the idea.

Thanks for looking

Please remember that not every gear leg was updated. Some 300 series (301) had the earlier straight struts and the later 311 series were improved. The Air Canada Express fleet had both types. Consequently, if accuracy is your goal, it is important to know what registration/FIN number you are trying to represent. Have a look at your decals and advise. I can tell you what strut you need.

I would like to say though your build looks very good do far!

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P

Thanks for the visits and comments, very appreciated!

I built up and tore apart the gear legs/trailing arms 3 times before I got to the point I liked the look. OK, they're not zackly accurate but the look is close, once the aerodynamic fairings go on maybe they'll look closer to prototype? The seams have been dealt with and sanded out and I've added the de-ice boot/lip to the engine air intakes...kinda crude but coming along;

CoZtmcf.jpg

QpvsEeQ.jpg

aCWLbfU.jpg

the two brackets will hopefully end up as gear doors at some point.

and that's where I am at quitting time tonight

Thanks for looking

Hi again, I'm still making headway (or what passes for it) I've got the wing major assembly stuck together. During assembly I found out one wing is .025" thicker than the other, weird. 

b7LSEg1.jpg?2

7n7iXaC.jpg?1

TSNVwVx.jpg

A bit more to do...ok a bit more than a bit but at least the engines are now on.

Thanks for looking

kind of stalled, or slowed, while I contemplate how to proceed with a couple of little problems. I've decided to work on a tangent working on the flight deck and props;

1N9K1cv.jpg

0EHYoD6.jpg?1

I have tried to represent breaker panels and tech. on the cabin bulkhead and am using the bottom of the coaming to make a roof panel, the coaming doesn't fit where it was designed to go and I'm trying to make a new one out of .005" sheet. Visible here and, I'm not sure if it's prototypical but the sloping down sides of the instrument panel is asymmetrical.

p4Mhaox.jpg

Thanks for looking