ALBATROS D.III - Early Werner Voss (RODEN 1/32)

kkarlsen

1JIvofr.jpg

"Werner Voss was a World War I German flying ace credited with 48 aerial victories. A dyer’s son from Krefeld, he was a patriotic young man even while

still in school. He began his military career in November 1914 as a 17‑year‑old Hussar. After turning to aviation, he proved to be a natural pilot.

After flight school and six months in a bomber unit, he joined a newly formed fighter squadron, Jagdstaffel 2 on 21 November 1916.

There he befriended Manfred von Richthofen.

By 6 April 1917, Voss had scored 24 victories and awarded Germany’s highest award, the Pour le Mérite. The medal’s mandatory month’s leave removed

Voss from the battlefield during Bloody April; in his absence, Richthofen scored 13 victories. Nevertheless, Richthofen regarded Voss as his only possible

rival as top scoring ace of the war.

Soon after Voss returned from leave, he was at odds with his squadron commander. He was detailed from his squadron to evaluate new fighter aircraft

and became enthusiastic about the Fokker Triplane. After transferring through three temporary squadron commands in two months, Voss was given

command of Jagdstaffel 10 on 30 July 1917 at Richthofen’s request. By now, his victory total was 34.

His last stand came on 23 September 1917, just hours after his 48th victory. After he fell in solo opposition to eight British aces, he was described by

his preeminent foe, James McCudden, as “the bravest German airman” (Wikipedia)

The main purpose of this build was to experiment with the fabrication of custom made wooden decal's. The build developed from there,
and soon became an exercise to add as much detail to the Albatros D.III Roden kit. (Ltn. Werner Voss Marking Decals - Pheon Decals No. 32074 1:32)

rtVfX3S.jpg

0t7LR7h.jpg

mH864w7.jpg

KizmR1y.jpg

3W6wXAp.jpg

Printed 'plywood' decals and preshading.

I5yDkvG.jpg

ld68Hom.jpg

57N0Bsk.jpg

wdTGTIA.jpg

zjooqri.jpg

Experiments with 'nail's'

jv0kXMm.jpg

Aluminium tape as rib tape...

KYGj6EC.jpg

rlyVdNC.jpg

TB1MuK9.jpg

c2ue9X4.jpg

07IV85n.jpg

whDN1Wv.jpg

rykV6QM.jpg

UZjYHqF.jpg

PzAqxPS.jpg

It was awarded the 1. Prize at the AROS Open contest, in the category 'Planes 1/35 and larger'.

The finished vignette at AROS Open 2021 - 12. September 2021. (Little did I know...)

Cheers: Kent

The wood decals look very realistic.  Did you trim the decal for each panel before or after you applied them to the fuselage?  If before, did you make a pattern of the panel and trim the decal to the pattern before applying?  I have a D.III coming to the top of the stash and wanted to try wood grain decals.

3 hours ago, kensar said:

The wood decals look very realistic.  Did you trim the decal for each panel before or after you applied them to the fuselage?  If before, did you make a pattern of the panel and trim the decal to the pattern before applying?  I have a D.III coming to the top of the stash and wanted to try wood grain decals.

I did trim the decal approx. 1 mm to the finished size, panel by panel. They were then cut to the final size, carefully taking care of the trim, not to cut too much off the decals!

They were very 'delicate' and a very sharp knife was needed. Patience!!!

20 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Another beauty.  Love your attention to detail.  Thank you, Kent.

Did you design the custom decals?  If so, how?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

3W6wXAp.jpg

Some photos of Plywood of different grain types, has been 'processed' through Photoshop. This means paying attention to variations of color and scaling.

I just wanted to experiment with how I'm used to what plywood looks like. (I'm originally a trained carpenter)

As I mentioned, it was an experiment and there is still room for improvement. All was then printet on a sheet of clear decal paper.