Many Messerschmitts!

Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

I spent a while on Friday drawing up some masks in AutoCAD for the K-4 and cut them on Saturday morning.  Here are the progress photos so far. Thursday evening I took the model to Wiltshire Scale Model Society's meeting and here it is on the table.   Iain Ogilvie brought along his P-8 3-D printed model and it  is a work of art.

51694416436_3f5ff0fbd3_b.jpg

Here's my computer screen with the CAD drawing almost ready to send as a DXF into Silhouette's program.

51695059949_73ea4f860b_b.jpg

Under wing cross masks in place with the white filled in.  All paint used is Mission Models Acrylic.

51691676597_68da8085f7_b.jpg

The White segments masked so I can spray the black centre crosses.

51691695967_d82ea65970_b.jpg

And the Black in place and masks removed.

51692742193_531c0abdae_b.jpg

The port fuselage cross painted and the number mask in place.

51693149959_5e679e61a8_b.jpg

Kitchen paper towel quadrants form spray shields,  Quick and easy.  I see some modellers using acres of masking tape and shake my head in disbelief.

51692472986_186fcc2571_b.jpg

Port side markings in place.

51693150044_ac60602609_b.jpg

And here's where we are right now.  I suppose the next step will be to gloss a few areas ready for all the tiny data decals. I'm fairly pleased with the K-4 so far, still lots of painting to do on the Hasegawa G-6, it's only in Grey Primer at the moment.

51695265955_98c1ed1c14_b.jpg

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby
spelling

Hi Guys,

Some more work on the 109's, mostly the Hasagawa G-6. Finally got some paint on it, meant to represent Hartmann's G-6 but the eagle eyed will notice I put on the wrong starboard cowl bulge.  So sue me! Colours throughout are from Mission Models.

Here's the underside in mission's RLM76 HellBlau.

51698699965_f9496e3206_b.jpg

The RLM75 GrauViolet areas outlined and filled then some mottle along the fuselage sides.

51697812511_dec23d1bf7_b.jpg

Then the same with Mission's RLM74 GrauGrun.

51698493054_f6a83daf83_b.jpg

I painted the K-4 and G-6 spinners white then masked up for the RLM70 SchwarzGreun.  Quarter white is Hartmann's G-6, the spiral is for the K-4.

51698485567_b03382d45e_b.jpg

After throwing on the RLM70 but prior to some much needed touch ups!

51699278951_09d176b745_b.jpg

This morning I've masked up a few areas for the RLM04 Gelb and had a happy time getting it to cover. 

51700120284_8691dbe66f_b.jpg

So there's actually some progress.  Next step is to cut the national markings for the G-6 on the silhouette but I won't fix and spray until the RLM04 had cured for a while.  The model is next to impossible to handle with the yellow bits just where I want to hold it so I'll let it all firm up first.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

It's early evening and I'm just cleaning up the airbrush from some more work on the Hasagawa 1/32 Me109G-6 model. Another modelling mate was round this morning and early afternoon for coffee a chat and generally shoot the breeze so I didn't actually get started until gone 2.30pm.  First thing was to cut some masks for the crosses and then I decided to have a go at drawing up the wing walkway lines.  It didn't take as long as expected and I've cut two sets for both the current builds.  Then I went back to the crosses.  The walkways will be done tomorrow after the crosses are fully cured so the planes are handleable.

Here's the walkway design.

51702454688_b9cce2e1ce_b.jpg

Wing top and fuselage masks awaiting spray shields and paint.

51702171476_411ccb8f79_b.jpg

Upper wing cross.

51703068799_79055bde27_b.jpg

Fuselage cross.

51701595407_3dbd3e8dff_b.jpg

Base mask for the underwing cross.

51701372757_f2edd878ca_b.jpg

With the white airbrushed and segment masks added.

51702392731_2b7256ec8b_b.jpg

MMP-047 Black applied and masks removed.

51702379371_a7424c4cda_b.jpg

Well, that's a wrap for this evening.  I'm fairly pleased with results so far.  Next decision is whether to ring out for Indian or Chinese!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

You may remember I made some masks for the 109 walkway boundaries.  If not. here's the screen of my computer.

51702454688_b9cce2e1ce_b.jpg

Here's the OraMask 810 and I've made a start weeding out the little rectangular segments.

51701371747_3e8e902514_b.jpg

It actually worked!  Port wing with the mask removed after airbrushing some MMP Red paint.  Starboard has the mask in place but I haven't added the overspray shields yet.

51704097188_f6709a5029_b.jpg

This is the Hasegawa G-6 with both walkways finished.

51704097098_f7b71a78b6_b.jpg

And here's the Trumpeter K-4.

51704493389_1ea9218042_b.jpg

I'm going to let the acrylic paint cure overnight then tomorrow's task is to apply some Gloss Varnish so I can start decaling over the weekend.

I was filled with anxiety about these mask, in reality they were really easy to locate and airbrush on the red paint.  I managed to screw up one mask so ended up using one set twice. There will be a couple of tweaks, nothing serious, then I'll cut and use some more for the next run of 6 off 109's.  All in all, a fairly happy bunny!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Super cool Bruce!

although don’t let Doogs see otherwise you’ll have to explain your inner Nazi sympathies for building more than one German subject every 10 years lol

Jokes aside, what material (and source) are you using for those brake lines?

I have used lead lead wire for mine, and it’s fine, but quite delicate and am searching for a malleable rubber / plastic alternative if such a thing exists?

cheers

Nick

18 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Super cool Bruce!

although don’t let Doogs see otherwise you’ll have to explain your inner Nazi sympathies for building more than one German subject every 10 years lol

Jokes aside, what material (and source) are you using for those brake lines?

I have used lead lead wire for mine, and it’s fine, but quite delicate and am searching for a malleable rubber / plastic alternative if such a thing exists?

cheers

Nick

Er, who or what is Doogs?  Is he or it famous, am I meant to be impressed?  Means nothing to me. 

Brake lines are from a manual page for G-4 in Airframe and Miniatures Vol 11 on late 109's.  Can't see they'd change a design that worked well.  Museum versions tend to bend forwards in a C shape rather than a loop. (Having seen some museum staff in action trying to get a cowling off, I wouldn't let them near an aircraft.)  The flexible hose should be greater diameter than the metal down tube attached to the main leg.  The late legs were identical from the F-4 onwards, the only difference being the wider section wheels (like here on the K-4 with the increased bay height) needed a longer axle and wider brake unit and the expedient fix for that was to sleeve the axle with a larger diameter, longer tube.  Dead easy.  You'll read about changed angles etc but that's plain stupid.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Thanks Bruce.

Sorry I don’t think I was clear re the brake lines - I meant what plastic or wire did you use and which shop did you get it from?

I have used lead wire but it ‘bruises’ very easily when grabbed by tweezers.

as to the Doogs ref, just ignore me - I was attempting (and failing) to make a joke.

cheers

nick

16 hours ago, Bruce_Crosby said:

Er, who or what is Doogs?  Is he or it famous, am I meant to be impressed?  Means nothing to me. 

A talented (at least from my point of view) builder who is/was a LSP member.

He has a nice blog and a strong opinion on people building german subjects (1933-1945):

Part 1 and 2

Cheers

Joachim

4 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Thanks Bruce.

Sorry I don’t think I was clear re the brake lines - I meant what plastic or wire did you use and which shop did you get it from?

I have used lead wire but it ‘bruises’ very easily when grabbed by tweezers.

as to the Doogs ref, just ignore me - I was attempting (and failing) to make a joke.

cheers

nick

Hi Nick,

I got the lead wire (actually lead free) from a vendor on eBay.  The trick to handling it is not to use fine tweezers, they generate too much force.  I use wide jaw TweezerMan jobs that my second ex-wife  bought in the USA years ago and you can get them on Amazon.