F-4EJ-Kai Phantom II J.A.S.D.F. 3WG (Zoukei Mura 1/48)

Uncarina

I've always loved the look of the F-4EJ Kai and the various colorful markings it carried. However, this stands out for me:

zqKbDun.jpg

fqW3w6Q.jpg

So when Zoukei Mura, one of my favorite kit manufacturers, released the Kai it was just a matter of time until I would work on this kit. Then DN Models released not only a canopy mask set, but a mask for the 50th Anniversary markings. I do have a Silhouette craft cutter and was prepared to make my own masks, but this saves a lot of time. Along with notes from Alex's excellent build, here is what I will bring to the build:

Fm1iRxR.jpg

Aside from the DN Models masks, I will be using the very good DXM decals for the 8 Squadron SEA camouflage, the Kits World seatbelts (haven't tried these before, fingers crossed), and the Royale Resin wheels.

The kit is my first 1/48 build by ZM, and so far I've been impressed with the fit and finish. It does lack seatbelts for the seats, but on the other hand it includes mirrors which both the Tamiya Tomcats and F-4B kits lack. Speaking of comparisons, here are both cockpits. I used the ZM decals and the Quinta set for the Tamiya kit:

ouygwW0.jpg

For the decals I used MicroSol/Set and a moistened Q-Tip. I then sprayed the cockpit with a flat coat, then picked out the dials with Modge Podge Super Gloss-Brilliant. I'd say the two cockpits are broadly comparable (the Quinta set is definitely more detailed). In any case, I'm happy with the ZM kit so far. Here's a pic with the seats, which are a work in progress:

iAnGQTU.jpg

YqrjGZR.jpg

And the cockpit added to the right fuselage:

EiFV9hb.jpg

tRMbmdC.jpg

I'm now working on the seats and starting on the belts. Until next time!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

I added the Kits World decals. They behave very much like the products from Quinta: dip in water, wait 20 seconds, dry on a paper towel, apply with adhesive. I used CA and found them relatively easy to apply. The big challenge is that they come with no instructions, and only by constantly referring to reference photos was I able to add them in something like the appropriate places. Even so, the straps that extend from the top rear of the seat over to the cutout in the seat cushions were missing, so I added these (after these photos) using strips of painted Tamiya tape. In any case, I'm happy to see the cockpit coming to life.

E0akcbA.jpg

bbSfKBT.jpg

iF0oj4G.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

• Uncarina changed the title to F-4EJ-Kai Phantom II J.A.S.D.F. 3WG (Zoukei Mura 1/48)

Another update. I've assembled the fuselage. Like other builds, the dorsal spine had a little gap fore and aft and along the sides. I used just a small amount of Vallejo putty and Water Filler to seal it. All the other parts fit very nicely. It's starting to look like the Kai version now with the strips on the nose cone.

uyx9rwD.jpg

GKM2WK8.jpg

Comments welcome!

Tom

Aweome start Tom and in my fav scheme for an F4: sea camo. I'm going to have to check DXM out some more decals in the JASDF line. Do you know if they do 32nd scale as well? Im thinking Aggressor F-15.

I have the Hasegawa version of the F4 which looks like it could use some of those exquisite Quinta Studio decals. Might have to get me some of those. 

8 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Aweome start Tom and in my fav scheme for an F4: sea camo. I'm going to have to check DXM out some more decals in the JASDF line. Do you know if they do 32nd scale as well? Im thinking Aggressor F-15.

I have the Hasegawa version of the F4 which looks like it could use some of those exquisite Quinta Studio decals. Might have to get me some of those. 

Thanks! DXM does indeed have a range of 1/32 JASDF decals, and having used them on my 1/48 Tomcat I don’t hesitate to recommend them.

Quinta doesn’t make a set for the EJ Kai, but their F-4E set would have plenty of useful items including the side consoles and seatbelts.

Cheers,  Tom

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Awesome!  Very much looking forward to following your work on this kit.  The scheme you’ve selected looks fantastic, and is something only the JASDF would dream up, for sure.

Thanks Alex! You’ve definitely been a major pathfinder for me with your work. There are so many appealing schemes for these aircraft it can be hard to choose, but I’ve been wanting to do this one for a long time.

Cheers,  Tom

In the past week I've made some relatively rapid progress, assembling the engines, intakes, and attaching the lower wing to the fuselage. I used Tamiya Nato Green weathered with black pastels for the jet pipes, and Vallejo Dark Aluminum weathered with rust pastels for the afterburners:

JJgKAjL.jpg

7p18mBO.jpg

After fighting the battle of the intake seams (a necessary evil for most jet kits), I installed the intakes and engines to the lower wing:

tUkFNzv.jpg

0cLmLij.jpg

I then carefully dry-fitted the lower wing to the fuselage. I noted that while I could get the forward portion of the lower wing part to attach under the nose landing gear bay, it took some coercing to get a seamless join, so I carefully sanded back sections of the nose bay until it was an easier fit. At the same time I dry-fitted the upper wings and noted that in my case I had a stellar fit on both sides without modification. After getting everything fitted together I added Tamiya fast setting cement, and some unorthodox methods for making sure all seams were aligned and tight:

pdCtDgm.jpg

rvJQD98.jpg

5D8mtqF.jpg

Until next time!

Cheers,  Tom